Trade Sheffield - business networking site

I know from a local economy perspective it makes sense to stay local, but at the end of the day, and just like any government procurement policy, we buy on value for money at the end of the day, and being local may be a factor in that value...and it may not.

When Sheffield Council and all the other organisations, especially those with supporting press release comments, have a procurement policy that limits purchases to Sheffield except where that product or service is unavailable, then if I was based in Sheffield I wouldn't commit to it. As it i'm based in Doncaster so it doesn't matter to me.

Did anyone go to the launch bash at the Walnut Club? I wimped out cos of the snow! I pre-registered on Trade Sheffield but haven't heard anything further. A bit more info would be good if you're reading this guys.

We are reading ;) Thanks for the feedback.

S8Design are developing the web aspect of Trade Sheffield, but the actual concept was devised by Richard Mills. Essentialy we are offering a tool to help businesses trade locally where possible.

I won't tell you guys too much about the mechanics of it but the idea is to make finding relevant suppliers much faster, without the need to pour over endless, irrelivant search results. Instead results will be targeted based on business criteria you have specified and can add to at any time.

Even if you're not especially interested in trading locally, it's worth your time to check your not missing out on better deals from Sheffield businesses.

Oh and btw... It's open to anyone with an S8 postcode

Hope that clears things up for you, at least a little...

- Matt

PS: We're not blinkered in our approach, so please be open and forward if you have any other suggestions or questions. Thanks.

Thanks for your response S8Design.

Do you know what happens next as it were? When will the site be live? Those of us that pre-registered when will we hear more or be able to use the site?

Is it really just for firms in S8? Or have I read that wrong?

Enough questions.

BTW this isn't criticism. I'm all for helping businesses in Sheff. Just trying to find out a bit more.

I think it's a great idea, is there going to be a fee to upload your details or some kind of referral fee - that's my main question.

We are reading ;) Thanks for the feedback.

S8Design are developing the web aspect of Trade Sheffield, but the actual concept was devised by Richard Mills. Essentialy we are offering a tool to help businesses trade locally where possible.

I won't tell you guys too much about the mechanics of it but the idea is to make finding relevant suppliers much faster, without the need to pour over endless, irrelivant search results. Instead results will be targeted based on business criteria you have specified and can add to at any time.

Even if you're not especially interested in trading locally, it's worth your time to check your not missing out on better deals from Sheffield businesses.

Oh and btw... It's open to anyone with an S8 postcode

Hope that clears things up for you, at least a little...

- Matt

PS: We're not blinkered in our approach, so please be open and forward if you have any other suggestions or questions. Thanks.

I have an S6 postcode can i still join ?

If i can still join is there a possibility of having the "Trade Sheffield" logo on my products to show im a supporter ?

Why dont you link it in with the offical Made In Sheffield Mark.

I have an S6 postcode can i still join ?

If i can still join is there a possibility of having the "Trade Sheffield" logo on my products to show im a supporter ?

Why dont you link it in with the offical Made In Sheffield Mark.

My apologies, I meant anyone with an "S" postcode - Typo on my part.

Yes, if you create an account you can use the trade sheffield logo on your letterheads etc, there will also be a membership number you can print which will allow other businesses to look you up on the site.

Interesting idea about the Made in sheffield Mark, are you purely thinking from a "logo" perspective here? I'll certainly put that idea forward.

In answer to the other questions, the next phase of the site has gone live so you may now begin adding products and services you buy/sell in preparation for the launch of the matching system.

Once we have enough data to being matching businesses with each other to create potential sales we will launch the matching system. This is expected to happen in the next few weeks.

Trade Sheffield will be completely free to begin with. Our client is considering sponsorship as a revenue model, advertising MAY be avaible to business in the future but for the forseable future businesses may use this service completely free.

I apologise once again for confusing everyone with the whole postcode mixup :-p

If you have any more questions feel free to ask here, if you have a more private question you can email [email protected] or [email protected] (for technical support)

Cheers for all yoru feedback so far guys,

Great news - No nonsense and free, just the way I like things to be.

got an email yesterday asking me to sign up - but I already have - interested where they got the data from

I got two emails at the same time - one like yours, asking me to sign up and another asking me to add details. I put it down to an email message/list mix up.

T'was a general email. As far as I remember it was asking users to register or login (and more importantly: forward the email) - so you may have registered already but other people on the list won't have.

...A "catch all" if you will.

The mail went round because you can now enter the products and services that your business buys and sells. So I've you've already registered but not filled that info in yet, I strongly suggest logging in to complete your profile.

Cheers

Hi

I registered before the pre-launch evet, and am still receinging your emails. However, your site will not let me log in, although it recognises that I am registered. Business details in sig.... any ideas?

cheers