Sign in to follow this  

Why are sheffielders often related with beer drinking?

When i first started uni this year there was a lot of new people from different areas, lots of mocking of accents... The strange thing i found is a lot of southerners stereotypical picture of a sheffielder is him sat at a table with a big ol jug of ale!

Why the hell is this? We are not that famous for our breweries are we? We don't drink copious amount of ale compared to our other regional brothers (and sisters) do we?

I want this clearing up good and proper! :x

Hello. I have moved you this to the Sheffield related chat as I think it's better suited here. As for this reputation I wasn't aware of it been directly associated with Sheffield. I thought it was more a Yorkshire thing.

Originally posted by scaramanga

When i first started uni this year there was a lot of new people from different areas, lots of mocking of accents... The strange thing i found is a lot of southerners stereotypical picture of a sheffielder is him sat at a table with a big ol jug of ale!

Why the hell is this? We are not that famous for our breweries are we? We don't drink copious amount of ale compared to our other regional brothers (and sisters) do we?

I want this clearing up good and proper! :x

We used to be world famous for the Stones, Whitbreads and Wards brewery's.

The drinking I reckon stems back to the hey-day of the steelmaking industry......hot, dusty, thirsty work!! This has been passed down in our genes and makes us the best folk in the land!! ;)