Darnall did you live here

My Grandparents came from Darnall, on Nightingale Street, thats not there any more, Its part of the playing fields now. We all belonged to the Darnall Medical Aid and took part in the parades and the pantomines for many years.

We lived on Nightingale St - 79 the Hayward family?

Steve, Sue, Linda, David & Mark:hihi:

I had an Aunty and Uncle that lived in Darnall, Frank and Elsie Turner,I believe that Frank died in the early 60's,and I doubt that Elsie would still be alive either.I would love to be able to get in touch with my two cousins. I'm pretty sure that the eldest was named Robert, not sure about the other one. I think that they used to call her Patsy which might mean that her name was Patricia? Robert would have to be about 70 or close to and Patsy?coming up to 60. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Dors.

My nan lived on Helen Road, around the corner on Coleford Rd was Teddys grocers and a little way up from there was a nice chippy.

We used to walk up to the old terminus for shopping and sometimes we went to High Hazels park. Does anyone remember the petrified tree?

That tree is in the Botanical Gardens now. Friends of High Hazels have asked if we can have it back.They said no!

Well this is Darnalldavid,just had to say something.

I lived at 47 James Street for a time(now demolished),having been born at Craven Road(now demolished),also lived at 69 Poole Road(now demolished,and for a short time Uttley Street(now demolished).Seems to be a pattern here.Famly name was Saynors.

I can remember sitting outside the Kings Head,waiting for my grandad,who worked at the dog track.I can remember Lomases chip shop,Mustills shop at the top of Poole road,and Mavis's.......shop as well.eventually moved to 12, Mather Avenue on the lower Manor estate(not demolished yet).Went to Acres Hill infants school,and then one year at the Juniors.

Fabulous days in Darnall.

Can anybody tell me if there's an Easter parade this year,and what time/day.

dsjpds@hotmail.com.

Forgot to mention Darnall Green Club and Ackadock Club(Aquaduct).

David

I lived at 47 James Street for a time(now demolished),having been born at Craven Road(now demolished),also lived at 69 Poole Road(now demolished,and for a short time Uttley Street(now demolished).Seems to be a pattern here.Famly name was Saynors.

I can remember sitting outside the Kings Head,waiting for my grandad,who worked at the dog track.I can remember Lomases chip shop,Mustills shop at the top of Poole road,and Mavis's.......shop as well.eventually moved to 12, Mather Avenue on the lower Manor estate(not demolished yet).Went to Acres Hill infants school,and then one year at the Juniors.

dsjpds@hotmail.com.

David

I used to live on Pearce Road and knew the Saynors. My friend Irene Bayliss I think was some relative. I remember all the shops you mentioned and as you say Happy Days!

I was born on greenland rd If asked my mum would say it was Darnall. my gran said Carbrook. Only the men acknowledged it ws the 'cliffe! no wonder I am confused

Also lived on Greenland rd untill houses came down, we then moved to

Fitzmaurice rd.

My nan lived on Helen Road, around the corner on Coleford Rd was Teddys grocers and a little way up from there was a nice chippy.

We used to walk up to the old terminus for shopping and sometimes we went to High Hazels park. Does anyone remember the petrified tree?

I do, remember seeing it when my Dad took me to the park

dsjpds@hotmail.com.

David

Darnall Carnival,which replaced the Easter parade some years ago,is on Saturday June 13th from 12 noon,with a Mela the following day.

The carnival will unfortunately be smaller than recent years,due to Sheffield City Council's disgraceful decision not to fund Darnall Forum.

Does anyone remember the Bradleys from the fireplace business or Ernie Sissons from the butcher's ?

I spent a lot of time in Darnall in the late 40's early 50's - most of my mates lived there. High Hazel's Park and the drinks shop on a Sunday when everything else was closed and of course the Medical Aid Society Parade with Ernest Morley. I have told this story on another thread but here goes :

I was on the Handsworth tram as it left Darnall, when Ernie jumped on banging his head on the pole on the platform. " You'd better put some butter on that " said the conductor. "What do you think I am - a bleeding tea cake " sez Ernie.There was never a dull moment when he was around but then as I remember that was true of a lot of the Darnall people I knew.

i used to spend a lot of time in and around darnall in the early ,mid,sixties,i knew loads of girls from the area,there was cheryl and dot and jennifer,they lived opposite the davy united firm,linda and denise who lived just off poole road,linda tee who lived somewhere down staniforth road and several others who's names dont come to mind,we used to go to the ace of clubs youth club/dance on a thursday night,i think it was thursday,if you went out of the club you had your hand stamped with a blue ink ace of clubs so you didnt have to pay your two bob to get back in,once met chris farlowe in there,just before he made the "out of time my baby" hit

Wow, ive got a tear in my eye just reading all these posts!!

Best years of my life in Darnall and saddens me to see how downhill it's gone. Moved t Darnall from Pitsmoor in the mid 70's and thought how posh we must have been moving onto the newly built Greenlands estate!! Spent all summers in the park or frogging in the ponds on the golf course. Knocked about with Mossy, Putty, Barry and Gordon Fell. Whatever happened to him. Crazy kid!!

Moved away when I met my girlfriend of 20yrs. (Dont believe in marriage)

My Mum & Dad lived there until they pasted away in the late ninety's. Gladys & Tony Cupitt.. Great people and dearly missed.

Darnall.....Best place in the world....When i was a kid.....Get a tear in my eye when i drive through the Greenland estate....still.

Also lived on Greenland rd untill houses came down, we then moved to

Fitzmaurice rd.

Hey Pinkgirl

I lived on Fitzmaurice Road too.... We left in 1972... What number did you live at? Maybe we know each other....