Darnall did you live here

I lived on Nidd road too, up until around 1970.

I recall names such as David Coulston from Staniforth road, Andrew Hamer and his mum and dad, Florrie and Ernest from up ousburne road, Bob Hoyland who lived at the Staniforth arms pub, Jeremy Masterman(had the corner shop), Amanda Ashton of Nidd road, I remember the Kirton family that lived across the road from us..

Crumbs!- there are just so many to remember!!

I recall going to the cafe at Main road and later on, boozing in the meadow, Industry and surrounding pubs

Does anyone know if Nick Darby was related to Dick Darby??, Nick worked at our place and was a great kid, he looked after the apprentices when they were getting picked on by some of the blokes, Nick was a big lad and put the fear of god up three of them at the same time, nearly had them rewering by all accounts ;)

It's a crying shame that he was taken by cancer at an early age.... RIP Nick :(

Biggsy..

What number did you live at.I was brought up at 189 till married in 68 then lived at 137 till compulsory puchase

I went down a few weeks ago you r right its not the same but they can never take our memories away from us They were great childhood days Darnall was a great place to brought up

Good talking to you Tony I agree with you there was no better place to live especilly Tinsley park wood I loved sitting on top of the slacky looking over the rooftops of Darnall. Mind you mate there were a couple of downsides living on coleridge road Saturday night was the time my mother used to take me to the pav and you could guarantee I would watch the film with a gret piece of grit in the eye the other thing is the shortage money but if you were like me it didn't matter too much we used to get lost in the wood for the day we didn't need owt

Terry nobody had much money in them days but people stuck together and looked after one another talking of the woods we used to go to pit pond build a raft and stay for as long as we wanted time didnt matter to us when we were kids we also used to fish the pump pond the quarry was another great place to play I remember the night watchman chasing us on that motorbike he had he never caught us we were too fast and cleaver for him u could hear that bike coming a mile off

Terry nobody had much money in them days but people stuck together and looked after one another talking of the woods we used to go to pit pond build a raft and stay for as long as we wanted time didnt matter to us when we were kids we also used to fish the pump pond the quarry was another great place to play I remember the night watchman chasing us on that motorbike he had he never caught us we were too fast and cleaver for him u could hear that bike coming a mile off

Never really went in the quarry but I can remember one of the girls we mentioned earlier was a regular manking in the kilns at the bottom we loved that street for sledging we called it breakneck hill my father taught boxing to youngsters in the tin chapel at the top just before the war before it was bombed you will probebly remember all the bombed houses at the top of coleford rd I can remember fishing for sticklebacks in the canal with a bloodworm on a bent pin watching men working in the rolling mill at cutty meadows or was it cuddy meadows ? like u say great times with nowt in our pockets im not too far from there now I live on littledale

What number did you live at.I was brought up at 189 till married in 68 then lived at 137 till compulsory purchase

I was at the other end, number 2 :)

Biggsy :)

Never really went in the quarry but I can remember one of the girls we mentioned earlier was a regular manking in the kilns at the bottom we loved that street for sledging we called it breakneck hill my father taught boxing to youngsters in the tin chapel at the top just before the war before it was bombed you will probebly remember all the bombed houses at the top of coleford rd I can remember fishing for sticklebacks in the canal with a bloodworm on a bent pin watching men working in the rolling mill at cutty meadows or was it cuddy meadows ? like u say great times with nowt in our pockets im not too far from there now I live on littledale
my brother drowned in 52 in the canal my dad was from prince of wales road

my brother drowned in 52 in the canal my dad was from prince of wales road

Oh that's awful what was his name ?

We used yo go in the tin mission to get the little pictures they used to give the Woods family used to run it Eleanor Street and Wilfred road were great for sledging them kilns were great when u was courting lovely and warm only trouble was when you came out you stunk of clay

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 20:13 ----------

some more names u might remember Roy Marples,Bob Pointer,Eddie Cockane, Ray and Dougie Hall,Jack Marshall,Roger Peacock, Ernest Foster,Walt Batty who used to own fruit shop, Brownhills,Pat Oxley,Wendy Tomlinson,Susan Ackroyd,Dora Leadbeater,Ruby Burgin,

Oh that's awful what was his name ?
eric osborne

We used yo go in the tin mission to get the little pictures they used to give the Woods family used to run it Eleanor Street and Wilfred road were great for sledging them kilns were great when u was courting lovely and warm only trouble was when you came out you stunk of clay

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 20:13 ----------

some more names u might remember Roy Marples,Bob Pointer,Eddie Cockane, Ray and Dougie Hall,Jack Marshall,Roger Peacock, Ernest Foster,Walt Batty who used to own fruit shop, Brownhills,Pat Oxley,Wendy Tomlinson,Susan Ackroyd,Dora Leadbeater,Ruby Burgin,

Yea so u went in the devils oven tony, bad lad yes i can remember most of them I knocked around with wendy's brother charlie, ruby was once a registers girlfriend, i was talking to dougie hall a couple of weeks ago in hi hazels, i think foster was deaf and dumb if i have got the right person, sti;; see bob pointer, i can also remember the brownhills one of them played in a group barry was the older one we could go on forever i'm still got a faint image of u but i can't get any further with it. Do you still live round Darnall tony ?

---------- Post added 09-01-2013 at 11:33 ----------

My mum grew up in Darnall - she lived on Bridport Road and went to Whitby Road School. She was a MayQueen one year (but I don't know which). She's just turned 70 - my nan and grandad lived in the same house until it was demolished and they moved to a flat on the Greenland estate. I remember they had a big shared yard and the old air raid shelter was still there even when I was little (at least that's what my Grandad used to tell us it was!)

what were their names ?

Ernest Foster and Ruby Burgin are married and he's definitely not deaf and dumb

Ernest Foster and Ruby Burgin are married and he's definitely not deaf and dumb

Oh sorry about that mate the Foster im on about was deaf and dumb and he knocked about with dick darby at one time i must have got the wrong first name