Darnall did you live here

How old are you guys?

I'm 47 and went to Whitby rd school and got evacuated to Malty Rd school.

Loved every minute of it.

My Grandparents came from Darnall, on Nightingale Street, thats not there any more, Its part of the playing fields now. We all belonged to the Darnall Medical Aid and took part in the parades and the pantomines for many years.

What was their name ?

did anyone come from darnall? i lived there all my life and remember the club trips from the horti and libs club,the darnall medical aid where ernest morley dressed up, oris the man with no voice, the pie and pea shop with tommo and his brother, lomases chip shop, carousel cafe, bates wine shop, the blue shop, musgroves beer off, yeomans pipe shop, matthews furniture shop, piggy lane allotments, seargents sandwich shop, lakins fishing tackle shop, mosleys tv shop, i was in the darnall drifters skateboard club which was run by a guy called jan,,

my best memory was cyril and gerts cafe on main rd, john raynard s hair salon, stewarts chippie, and ron ingle had the newsagents, my god it was good in 79

I lived with my Grandparents at 96 Main Road, next door but one to the Lyric,opposite The Industry, or "Dust Oyl" as it was called ,then we moved to a flat above the old Natwest Bank for a couple of years and I went to Darnall Church School, then we moved up to Handsworth.

I remember playing in the derelict houses in Dunkirk Square, where Lidl is now and the horse meat shop opposite the Bradley Well. Grandad used to take us to High Hazels Park past Sutherlands potted meat factory and he would lift us up to look for the dogs which they were going to put in the potted dog.

Times have changed in Darnall now and not for the better.

We lived on Cravens Rd 1953 to 70 spending my childhood and youth there. Wouldn't change any of it, Whitby Rd infants and junior school and then Waltheof. Those summer days in High hazels park and the woods around the golf course, the funfairs on the dog track carpark and going down the "darkie" from opposite the Halfway house to come out near the railway bridge at the bottom on prince of Wales Rd. Dad worked at Davey United so I remember the sports days well.

Can you remember the Skidmores - hardings ?

Iwas born in darnall for 23 yrs Probably know all of you. Went to Phillimore rd and Coleridge Rd

from 1951 to 1976 ( moved to Handsworth )

I lived on Coleridge road and moved in 67, I also went to Philimore school, but didn't go to Coleridge instead I went to Darnall Church School terry roe

I Was born in Smith Street. if anyone remembers it.

it was only a small Street with about 8 terrace houses on it.

it was the one after Coleford road

going towards the bus depot,(now b&q)

My Dad lived in the house belonging to Coleford road club.

his name was Cyril Chaplin.

and had family on Fitzmurice rd.

My grandma used to be the projectionist at

the cinemas in Darnall.

One of the places is now the big lighting company on the corner.

terry roe are you a relation of joe ?

I used to visit Pamela Russell, 267 Coleford Rd. She had three brothers, George, Keith, and David; and two sisters, Cindy and Marie. I use to catch the tram at Darnall. In 1960 I married Pamela, had 3 children. It's a small world.

I used to knock about with George but never knew he had a sister Pam, I knew cindy and the brothers. Georgy boy used to like to think he was a promoter and once put my group the citydels on down their celler (Sheffield Cavern)

i was born and bread in darnall we lived on jubilee rd untill demolition around1976/7 i went to phillimore rd school then to park house they was some of the best days of my life happy timesa

did you know Jacky Cooper, the STocks, Darbys,stubbs ?

what about the lyric on saturday mornings and the day the yo-yo man came and did all his tricks on stage . whit parades ernest with his pink poodles all happy memories

You could be nearly as old as me I can remember billy panama world yo yo champ at the lyric, sounds like you could have been there when rock around the clock came as well.

This may not be relevant but if anyone out there knows if this is true. Apparently when King James was beheaded by axe, the execitioner came from Darnall.................Just wondered if this was true.

yes he lived in darnall hall

Part of it certainly isn't true,it was King Charles that was beheaded.

yes charles and the mad axman lived in darnall hall

just found the letter from the mortgage people in my dads papers from when he bought a house on studley road, darnall in may 1969.......so i was one month old

the house was £800

the mortgage was £630 lol