Darnall did you live here

Used to play on Coleford Place as like you say it backed onto Industry Road. Made many a mud pie around there with friends whose backyards went onto Coleford Place.....Julie Short and brother, Judy Burley and Tina Hargreaves who lived further up Industry Road. Also Beverley Smith who lived next door to the shop on the corner of Industry Road and Coleford Road who used to like piccalilli.....

Hi I think I remember a Tina and a Julie, But they are girls, I seem to remember playing with other lads. We had a shop on the corner of Coleford Road / Place, it was a hardware shop and later a second hand shop, Also cusins on Colford road and Industry, all this was 1960's to 77 when were re-housed in S13. Big Family Briggs's of course, Inkles and Fianders all on the two streets. ........ Oh happy times.

i didn't live in darnall but my grandma and grandad lived on fisher lane, just up from the medical aid. My brother and i used to think that batman and robin lived in that detached house just down from the m a :)

i used to love going to play bingo with grandad at darnall libs, and we had some great trips out with the club.

We used to go to lomas' chippy.

We had some really happy times in darnall in the early to late 70's.

batman that is funny,enjoy your humour cheers

Hi - I'm trying to trace one of my father's aunts called Lottie, who lived on Studley Road. Does anyone remember her?

D Lee, K Copeland and me met up for a pint or two on Saturday afternoon, we had a great time remembering the old days of being at Darnall, Phillimore Road and Park House Schools and we are all looking forward to the next get together.

Does anyone remember the Barry Thomas accident ? They would be a minimum of in their 70's now.

Hi I was born in Darnall on Gladstone St and then moved to Studley Rd when I got married , happy times, and I remember a lot of the places you have spoke about , especially High Hazels Park and Piggy lane , they were a couple of minutes away from where we lived on Gladstone St . So many good memories :)

I lived in darnall.

Coleford Place.

I think I know you jdbriggs

My OH was the youngest of the Riley boys, do you remember them?

sorry no i dont remember that name.

Other memories were waiting at a annexe to be taken by bus to acres hill school it seemed like a million miles.

Other names i remember are Julie Drinkwater Katherine Moore Yvonne Speight Micheal Peet and a little lad I think they called William Swift ??

Richard (Good Footie Player wanted to play for Chelsea) and Wendy Pratt

yes it is true , his surname was Walker and he lived in the big house just off Industry Road , but it was King Charles and not king James who was beheaded , where they have built some council houses now more or less opposite the Doctors on Main Road Darnall , i think that the road that the houses are on is called Malvin Road ?[ it is a cul-de-sac which runs to the the top of the Darnall cemetery ] but i am not sure about the name of this road. I read in a history book while at school that Walker was passing through Darnall on his way from London when he stayed in the house and decided to write a book about his memoirs . He remained there till he died i have forgotten which church yard he is buried in .

No mention of your Mr. Walker here:

"It is generally accepted that the identity of the executioners of Charles I will never be known. The story goes that the regular executioner, Richard Brandon, wanted nothing to do with the execution of a man who was king by divine right and that officials had to delay the execution while they roamed London for someone to do it.

Various theories have been put forward in terms of naming the man who executed Charles I. One is that the executioner was Richard Brandon. Instead of refusing to carry out the execution as history books would lead you to believe, it is thought that Brandon made it publicly known that he would refuse to behead Charles but, in fact, did so simply because it was his job.

In 1660, William Hulet was put on trial for carrying out the deed. One witness, Richard Gittens, claimed at the trial of Hulet that he was at the execution and recognised Hulet’s voice after Hulet had asked Charles to forgive him. However, for his defence a number of witnesses claimed that Richard Brandon had privately admitted on a number of occasions after January 1649 to beheading Charles. One of the defence witnesses, William Cox, claimed that he had heard Brandon at a later execution in the Palace Yard at Westminster, admit to one of those about to be executed, Lord Capel, that it was he who had beheaded Charles.

The executioner’s assistant is also unknown as, like the executioner, he wore a mask. However, there are some who believe that it was a Parliamentarian named George Joyce.

The principal evidence against Joyce came from an astrologer called William Lilly. Before a Parliamentary committee, Lilly described a dinner he attended. At the same dinner was Robert Spavin, Cromwell’s secretary. Lilly claimed that the sole discussion at the dinner was the execution of Charles – something that had occurred just over a week before this dinner. One of those at the dinner claimed that the executioner was “the Common Hangman” (a reference to Richard Brandon’s official title). However, Spavin made the claim that the executioner’s assistant was Lieutenant Colonel Joyce and that at the time no one knew his identity except Cromwell, Ireton and Spavin himself.

The register of St. Mary Matfellon, Whitechapel, records the burial of two remarkable persons—Brandon, the supposed executioner of Charles I., and Parker, the leader of the Mutiny at the Nore. Brandon was a ragman, in Rosemary Lane. The entry is—"1649. June 2. Richard Brandon, a man out of Rosemary Lane." And to this is added the following memorandum: "This R. Brandon is supposed to have cut off the head of Charles I." This man is said to have confessed that he had £30 for his work, and that it was paid him (why, we know not) in half-crowns, within an hour after the axe fell. He took an orange, stuck with cloves, and a handkerchief, out of the king's pocket, when the body was removed from the scaffold. For the orange he was offered twenty shillings by a gentleman in Whitehall, but he refused the sum, and afterwards sold the orange for ten shillings, in Rosemary Lane. This Brandon was the son of Gregory Brandon, and claimed the headman's axe by inheritance. The first person he had beheaded was the Earl of Strafford; but, after all, there is still doubts as to who struck the death-blow at King Charles, and some say it was that Cornet Joyce who once arrested the king. There is as much, perhaps, to be said for Brandon, of Rosemary Lane, as any one."

I lived on Pearce Road before it was demolished and the houses there now were built, I dont' remember it being particularly nice, we didn't even have an indoor bathroom.

Hi All

I was born on Candow Street, off Shirland Lane and lived there till 1963 when we moved to Middlewood. Candow Street was demolished in about 1967.

I went to St Charles school on Hepponstall Lane.

Some one mentioned the Russell family, I was in the same class as David Russell.

We would walk to High Hazels park at the weekend, Saturday morning was spent at Attercliffe baths, afternoon at the roller skating rink.

School holidays we would catch the bus out to Longshaw or Fox House and play by the river all day. Millhouses park playing in the paddling pool. We would hang about in a large group of 12 or more, no being moved on or split up by the police!

A favourite play ground was the Briccie where BRS had there place, also the building site when they built the Staniforth Arms. Sledging on the 'tip' where the Chain Annealing Company was/is.

My brother managed to impail himself on railings at the St Andrews Mission Hall on Shirland Lane, luckily it left him non the worse.

I remember the Easter parade, it was one of the highlights of the holiday as we never got more than one Easter egg!

My maiden name was Meegan, brothers are Kelwin always known as 'Cab' and Michael.

Many happy memories of an idillyc childhood

I went to Whity Rd/Greenlands and then on to Beaverhill.

Went to school with Carl Smith/Gail Bartrop/Jennifer Hudson anybody else know of these people.