Darnall did you live here

my uncles used to live in darnall they were called darbys

Hi all you Darnall people.

I was born 204 Coleford road October 1956, This was my Grandfarthers house Bob Clarke. We lived with them untill the 1960's when we moved to my Grandmothers house at 115 Industry Road (Briggs). Finailly we moved to 210 Coleford Road about 1965, this was a hpuse and shop on the corner or Coleford road / Coleford Place. We finally moved out of Darnall to Richmond, some would call woodthorpe in 1977 when the last of the old houses were cleared from the area.

We had loads of family that lived around Darnall all around the Coleford Rd / Industry Rd / Jubilie Rd area. Any one rember the Briggs / Clarkes / Booths.

I went to Phillimore Rd School and the Parkhouse.

Lets see what this thred kicks up.

Does anyone remember the Stuart or Taylor families, I think they lived on Coleridge Road in the 50's

I was born 204 Coleford road October 1956, This was my Grandfarthers house Bob Clarke. We lived with them untill the 1960's when we moved to my Grandmothers house at 115 Industry Road (Briggs). Finailly we moved to 210 Coleford Road about 1965, this was a hpuse and shop on the corner or Coleford road / Coleford Place. We finally moved out of Darnall to Richmond, some would call woodthorpe in 1977 when the last of the old houses were cleared from the area.

We had loads of family that lived around Darnall all around the Coleford Rd / Industry Rd / Jubilie Rd area. Any one rember the Briggs / Clarkes / Booths.

Hi DJ

I used to live on Jubilee road from 1950 - 1971,

I,m a bit older than you but I have brothers and sisters that you may remember, our surname is Stevens. I had a friend that must have lived near you Trev Turner, have,nt seen him for years, I now live in Skegness.

Hi Bolsover

The Turners were all older than me but they lived at 208 Coleford road, my main memories of them are there seemed to be a lot of kids and a crazy dog that sang (wined) along when old man Turner played his armed forces band music, think he used to be in the guards.

hi

my mother Ivy Austin (nee Hamshaw) is trying to find out any information about an old school friend Margaret Baxter , who used to live in station road catliffe. margaret lived in catcliffe around 1924 to 1941 and i assume she would have attended catcliffe school. margaret had a sister called barbara. margarets dad was called henry and he was the railway master at the old catcliffe station. the last contact my mother made was when margaret had moved to the darnal area around 1948. the remotest of leads or information would be much appreciated

Lived on Industry Road near the bottom end between the years of 1960 and 1970. Remember Roomes beer off shop which had a double entry and Roy the milkman with his horse and cart. Every Christmas Day the horse had to remember which houses Roy needed to deliver milk to as Roy was usually well oiled! Also Surrey Road playground with the high metal slide which we used to make more slippy by rubbing the wax paper from our daily loaf onto the bottom of. Caught many a child unawares. Also the flying plank which I think was made from a railway sleeper and was nearly the undoing of me when I once fell off and the beam narrowly missed my left temple!!Went to Whitby Road school betwenn 1965 and 1970....Mr Saxton was the head and Miss Musstell in charge of the little ones. I was in Ellison(red) house. The others being Cravens(blue), Hadfields(green) and..........Freddie and the Dreamers opened the new Tesco in Darnall now a WilKinsons. Piggy jack lane, Halfway House with a bag of crackers, pickled onion and triangle cheese, Lakins toyshop, army camp. Memories!!!!

I remember Rowena Roome , lovely girl with fabulous smile .

Roy Johnson - Milkman - He loved that horse and when the dairy got taken over and went to electric carts it just about did him in.The horse used to slip to its knees on the ice down basford st , roy picked it up !

The other house was hamptons (yellow)

Miss mustell was in infants ?

Surrey rd chippy - best ever .

Steve Staniforth , Richard Lean also lived on Indusrty rd.

Wow! memories or what? I lived near Saynors Chippie on Shirland Lane. Often climbed over the fence into the "Spirits" to get a ball back (Darnall Spiritualist Church). I remember going down the "darkie" and almost filling my pants with the stories of the rats there. Building a dam in the gully in front of the Halfway House - Walking up Piggie Lane to get to the park. The hours spent playing on the China Field behind the petrol station on Staniforth Road. How many went over Kettlebridge to creep into the train yard and the run like the wind cos the railwmen chased you! And in Darnall it seemed like Lakins owned every shop !

Used to fly model aeroplanes ( control line ) on the china field with jimmy lawson , their were lots of lawson bros on darnall main rd. when the lines bust on the plane we " borrowed " some best knitting wool ..............

Hi,dj,wondered if you knew of a BERYL TURNER,that had a dance school on INDUSTRY RD?,friends and me knew her from the roller rink at ATTERCLIFFE,wondered what became of her.At that time i was going out with one of the MIDDLETON sisters,who lived at 142,PHILLIMORE RD,i am still in contact with some of them.Would like to hear from anyone who has any knowledge(however small)of any of the above.cheers eightlegger.

Hi 8legs

The Turners used to live a few doors up from me on Coleford, but if they was a Beril, I'm not sure, they were a large family.

I do remeber the Midltons around Phillimore school area, but again my memory is a bit shackey on details.

I tend to rember things and events more than names of people.

But they were good times.

DJ

This may not be relevant but if anyone out there knows if this is true. Apparently when King James was beheaded by axe, the execitioner came from Darnall.................Just wondered if this was true.

yes it is true , his surname was Walker and he lived in the big house just off Industry Road , but it was King Charles and not king James who was beheaded , where they have built some council houses now more or less opposite the Doctors on Main Road Darnall , i think that the road that the houses are on is called Malvin Road ?[ it is a cul-de-sac which runs to the the top of the Darnall cemetery ] but i am not sure about the name of this road. I read in a history book while at school that Walker was passing through Darnall on his way from London when he stayed in the house and decided to write a book about his memoirs . He remained there till he died i have forgotten which church yard he is buried in .

Edited by bluebird62
edited the name

my uncles used to live in darnall they were called darbys

I know a Dick Darby who is married to Mary who used to live at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road before they pulled the houses down. My step father used to be best friends with Dick and Danny . Is Dick Darby one of your uncles .