Darnall did you live here

The holmes would have ben there in the fities and sixties. My dad also used to leave his old bangers in her yard as we could never afford to get them running properly.

Does anyone remember the Bradleys from the fireplace business or Ernie Sissons from the butcher's ?

I spent a lot of time in Darnall in the late 40's early 50's - most of my mates lived there. High Hazel's Park and the drinks shop on a Sunday when everything else was closed and of course the Medical Aid Society Parade with Ernest Morley. I have told this story on another thread but here goes :

I was on the Handsworth tram as it left Darnall, when Ernie jumped on banging his head on the pole on the platform. " You'd better put some butter on that " said the conductor. "What do you think I am - a bleeding tea cake " sez Ernie.There was never a dull moment when he was around but then as I remember that was true of a lot of the Darnall people I knew.

I worked at Walt Bradley's Fireplace shop in 1959 I worked with his son Gordon fitting fireplaces etc. I was born in Helen Road Darnall and lived there for 20 years, went to Darnall Board Junior school and on to Whitby Rd school when Mr Saxon was headteacher. I remember one dinnertime some kids sneaked back into the science classroom and one of the boys was messing around with some chemicals and the explosion nearly blew the bottom wing off the school, the lads came staggering out of the classroom covered in purple and yellow blotches.

Some dinnertimes we used to go to one of the mates house to smoke a tuppenny fag from Cyrils and listen to the latest R&R records and this guy who was related to my mate would do the weekly wash for the family used to tell us we were a decadent lot, his name was Ernest Morley.

My brothers and I were all in the Coleford Rd Scout troop great times "indeed"

Hey Pinkgirl

I lived on Fitzmaurice Road too.... We left in 1972... What number did you live at? Maybe we know each other....

My aunty,uncle and cousin lived on Fitzmaurice Road too in the 70s. My nan lived on Irving Street. We too loved Lomas's chippy and my nan helped out in the herbalists at the top of Staniforth Road. I virtually grew up around the area as I was always up in the area. Happy days!

Hey Pinkgirl

I lived on Fitzmaurice Road too.... We left in 1972... What number did you live at? Maybe we know each other....

It was after '72 we we moved to Fitzmaurice as I was 14 when we moved in,

was the 'new' fitzmaurice rd, still possible I know of you though :)

My aunty,uncle and cousin lived on Fitzmaurice Road too in the 70s. My nan lived on Irving Street. We too loved Lomas's chippy and my nan helped out in the herbalists at the top of Staniforth Road. I virtually grew up around the area as I was always up in the area. Happy days!

MMM, thinking about that, these were the old terraced houses so it was possibly earlier than then :confused:

That tree is in the Botanical Gardens now. Friends of High Hazels have asked if we can have it back.They said no!

Wasn't it removed from High Hazels because of continuing vandalism.

Possibly a good idea to leave it where it is, you get a higher class of vandal in the botanical gardens.

darnall used to be just brill at weekends drinking in all the pubs and clubs and they was always full , just look at the area now .what a dump the best thing to do with the area now is to steamroll the lot so..so sad never come back again............

I was born and brought up in Darnall driving through l just makes me sad now.

i was too,, went past old bradley pub other day. dinner time drunks pi**ing up wall outside young children walking past its a joke think thats only pub left now. apart from the working mans club ha! bet there is not many of them now down there working man i mean. thing is they can all go out drinking,smoking every dinner i must be doing somthing wrong ?

Edited by jacklev1

Wow, ive got a tear in my eye just reading all these posts!!

Best years of my life in Darnall and saddens me to see how downhill it's gone. Moved t Darnall from Pitsmoor in the mid 70's and thought how posh we must have been moving onto the newly built Greenlands estate!! Spent all summers in the park or frogging in the ponds on the golf course. Knocked about with Mossy, Putty, Barry and Gordon Fell. Whatever happened to him. Crazy kid!!

Moved away when I met my girlfriend of 20yrs. (Dont believe in marriage)

My Mum & Dad lived there until they pasted away in the late ninety's. Gladys & Tony Cupitt.. Great people and dearly missed.

Darnall.....Best place in the world....When i was a kid.....Get a tear in my eye when i drive through the Greenland estate....still.

Was Les Fell Gordons brother they lived on Greenland way ?

We lived on Cravens Rd 1953 to 70 spending my childhood and youth there. Wouldn't change any of it, Whitby Rd infants and junior school and then Waltheof. Those summer days in High hazels park and the woods around the golf course, the funfairs on the dog track carpark and going down the "darkie" from opposite the Halfway house to come out near the railway bridge at the bottom on prince of Wales Rd. Dad worked at Davey United so I remember the sports days well.

I was born and bred in Darnall on Pearce Road. Lived there till I was 17 when we moved but all my memories are there. Attended Whitby Road and Darnall Board schools, Darnall Congs, loved it at the Darnall youth club and had many happy times in High Hazels park. Happy days!!

you my have known my hubbys family then the cheesmans ???