Darnall did you live here

My mum lived on Scarbrough Rd with my nan and grandad, i remember there were 5 or 6 houses to a yard and the toilet outside. My grandparents had to move onto the Greenland estate when they demolished the houses.

hi hanco we live on scarbrough road now and have always wonderd what used to be here before there built bungalows.what year did there demolished the houses and have you any pics what it was like please.

I lived on Studley Road when i was a little kid (that was a road near where the fishing tackle shop and later the jukebox shop was), it later got walled off and became Studley Court?

i went to Greenlands school, prolly till about 1979/1980 ish? then i moved to woodhouse and went to brunswick middle before going to beaver hill in 1981.

i lived on phillimore road for 29years, went to phillimore school and then on to handsworth grange. i've got some great memories from darnall, colleridge youth club and starworks, kids dont have anything like that, these days.

Me and my husband bought a house on Uttley St when we were first married in the early 70s. Cost us £400 Two years later we moved to Wixley Rd due to slum clearance. Not long after that we moved to Phillimore Rd school and became caretakers.Happy times and such friendly people.

My mum grew up in Darnall - she lived on Bridport Road and went to Whitby Road School. She was a MayQueen one year (but I don't know which). She's just turned 70 - my nan and grandad lived in the same house until it was demolished and they moved to a flat on the Greenland estate. I remember they had a big shared yard and the old air raid shelter was still there even when I was little (at least that's what my Grandad used to tell us it was!)

my family used to live on harry frith and ouseburn croft

Me and my husband bought a house on Uttley St when we were first married in the early 70s. Cost us £400 Two years later we moved to Wixley Rd due to slum clearance. Not long after that we moved to Phillimore Rd school and became caretakers.Happy times and such friendly people.

what year did you end being caretaker? i may know you!!!!

I lived at 88 Coleford Road in the early sixties in my nans house before my mum and dad got their own place on the Manor. There was Devoties ice cream yard at the bottom of our road opposite the corner shop. At the top were some private garages just before the old rectory house..My aunty Ethel Holmes had the sweets shop just below the fire station on Darnall main Road..

Heres a wierd thing..After I first met my wife I went with her to meet her mum one day and she asked my where I lived when I was young as she knew the Fletcher name..It turns out they lived in the house right next door to us at no 90 although I had moved by then but she used to see me when I'd come and visit my nan..

I lived at 88 Coleford Road in the early sixties in my nans house before my mum and dad got their own place on the Manor. There was Devoties ice cream yard at the bottom of our road opposite the corner shop. At the top were some private garages just before the old rectory house..My aunty Ethel Holmes had the sweets shop just below the fire station on Darnall main Road..

Heres a wierd thing..After I first met my wife I went with her to meet her mum one day and she asked my where I lived when I was young as she knew the Fletcher name..It turns out they lived in the house right next door to us at no 90 although I had moved by then but she used to see me when I'd come and visit my nan..

Used to live opposite Holmes's shop,Used to sit outside our house and watch people getting chewing gum out of the Beech Nut machine.You used to get a free packet every fourth turn one for me and one for my brother :) went into the shop to get a penny ice lolly or 4 black jacks or fruit salads. Happy days.

I was born on greenland rd If asked my mum would say it was Darnall. my gran said Carbrook. Only the men acknowledged it ws the 'cliffe! no wonder I am confused

Was that in the Holmes of the fifties or sixties?

Edited by doubleg
error

My nan lived on Helen Road, around the corner on Coleford Rd was Teddys grocers and a little way up from there was a nice chippy.

We used to walk up to the old terminus for shopping and sometimes we went to High Hazels park. Does anyone remember the petrified tree?