The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

arggggh.I don't care if any of you had a golliwog or if someone black ALSO used the term,the fact is is that it IS generally considered offensive to the majority of blacks,for me it may aswell be called a gollyn*gger.When I was younger I used to have the crap kicked out of me whilst called wog,golly or not amongst other things.do you honestly thing thatcher meant this as a term of endearment.I agree that political correctness does go too far sometimes but this isn't one of those occasions I'm afraid so all you people shouting PC brigade alert go and shove it!!! And next time you see a black person,friend or stranger go up to them tap them on the shoulder and say eyup golliwog!!!!

IS that what you got from the thread so far? That someone here wants to call someone black a golly?!?!?!? I think you may need to re read it.

What does she call white tennis players?

If they are English, 'nig nogs'

(NB: used in the original sense)

If they are English, 'nig nogs'

(NB: used in the original sense)

..ah, but she wouldn't though, would she??

In fact she probably wouldn't use any kind of generalisation to describe an individual white tennis player, she'd refer to them by name.

..as far as I remember I only started having a problem with it when it's innocent use was twisted into something that could be used offensively against me, 40 odd years ago.
before that didnt you have a problem ?there was a load of referances to golly on the radio and t v and in films,the black and white minstrels gave people hours of entertainment without any complaints,at school one of the many songs we had to sing during music lessons was de camp town races..the education authority never had a problem with it in those days,so why the big no,no,now?

Black calling black 'nigga' is ok though?

Nice one.

before that didnt you have a problem ?there was a load of referances to golly on the radio and t v and in films,the black and white minstrels gave people hours of entertainment without any complaints,at school one of the many songs we had to sing during music lessons was de camp town races..the education authority never had a problem with it in those days,so why the big no,no,now?

Its not always what is said it is how it is said. Sometimes it is how the word is intended to be received and sometimes simply how it is received regardless of how it was intended.

An example of this is when white men used to call black men BOY or SON, meant to be patronising but some old blokes call everyone younger than them BOY or SON.

IS that what you got from the thread so far? That someone here wants to call someone black a golly?!?!?!? I think you may need to re read it.

didnt you read the link in the op?

she DID call a tennis player a golliwog..no idea who he is but i presume hes black?

Black calling black 'nigga' is ok though?

Nice one.

If they know the person and are friends with them and it is known to be aceptable to them, but not if they don't know the person. Why do white people want so desperately to use the word ******? What is so exciting about it? Dirty Honkies, there you can have that one!

didnt you read the link in the op?

she DID call a tennis player a golliwog..no idea who he is but i presume hes black?

Yes I did but a lot of people here are saying many things not one said we should call black people golly. As people add there opinions is it not right to discuss these also?

If they know the person and are friends with them and it is known to be aceptable to them, but not if they don't know the person. Why do white people want so desperately to use the word ******? What is so exciting about it? Dirty Honkies, there you can have that one!

I'm a honkey!!

Blacks can call me honkey, whites can call me honkey.. I couldn't give a crap..

In fact, I love the word!

i was called that and a white ******* by a dwarf of a black guy on saturday,i didnt post it on here i didnt tell the papers,i didnt run to the housing office to get him and his family evicted,its words ,no big deal, now if he had said it to my son things would have turned out a lot different