The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

Margarat thatcher great ,she brought this country to its knees lol
Now who's been telling you fairy stories..!

Gordon Bennett, do you feel bullet-proof today? :hihi:
I intend to take that as a serious threat! in the context of this discussion! Edited by mossdog

Nothing about Tony Blair then.......?

huh? So having an understanding of how Thatcher raped the country makes me Blairite? Seriously, I'm not sure you're well......Assuming that you think I should have made comment about all elected leaders who haven't done ever so well for Britain, well, we were actually discussing Carol Thatcher, and thats why I mentioned her mother. As soon as Euan Blair calls a black man a golliwog, trust me, I'll be on it.

..her mother was the last true leader this country has had! not that a lot of the Sheffield left who post on this Forum will understand that!

Tramp the dirt down Mossdog - a fair few people in southern germany feel silimarly dowy eyed about that short arsed Austrian house painter.

Margarat thatcher great ,she brought this country to its knees lol

Apparently the girl on the One Show brought Adrian Chiles to his knees. ;):P

I wonder if the PC fascists ever got around to banning that old racist song, Good Golly Miss Molly, by Little Richard :hihi:

I wonder if the PC fascists ever got around to banning that old racist song, Good Golly Miss Molly, by Little Richard :hihi:

Careful! The BBC insist on referring to him as Person Of Restricted Growth Richard to avoid offending dwarves.

There are a lot of people who are protected by discrimination rules who abuse that by constantly making remarks and using language in the company of others, which those other people can't/shouldn't use. The N and P words being particular racial favourites. If things are to be fair everyone should abide by the same rules, being offended being a pretty subjective thing anyway.

Eyup Darbees.

Have you never considered the fact that those black and asian people that throw the words ****** and **** about might just be ****ing idiots and in no way representative of their communities as a whole. For God's sake - get a grip. My black friends don't use the word '******' to describe each other (not when I'm around anyway), and as an ethnic Indian, NOBODY, in my family or social circle, in my 43 years on the planet, has ever used the word '****' either.

There's a few million of us in this country - we're not all the same.

Don't take your cues about those words from the people you've met. If YOU think they are wrong, don't use 'em. If YOU think the words are ok then knock yourself out and have a reyt old '****' fest. Shout it from the rooftops. There will be consequences, mind you.

As for fairness....life isn't fair.....just is what it is.

So now I have a very practised response of, "I am born in X. Yet, my parents were born in Y. I am of x generation of B. I have lived in C, before I moved here." :hihi:

Similarly to you, when asked I say 'I'm Indian by ethnicity, British by nationality' unless I'm feeling contrary. On those occasions I say 'I'm Swedish' and you can see the cogs goind round.

Eyup Darbees.

Have you never considered the fact that those black and asian people that throw the words ****** and **** about might just be ****ing idiots and in no way representative of their communities as a whole. For God's sake - get a grip. My black friends don't use the word '******' to describe each other (not when I'm around anyway), and as an ethnic Indian, NOBODY, in my family or social circle, in my 43 years on the planet, has ever used the word '****' either.

They may well be but the fact is, I hear it quite a lot. I work in Bradford and the P word is common parlance in all communities and is usually used as a word of reference and not abuse. It's the context that is important when being offensive.

They may well be but the fact is, I hear it quite a lot. I work in Bradford and the P word is common parlance in all communities and is usually used as a word of reference and not abuse. It's the context that is important when being offensive.

Well, I've never know **** to be common parlance but I've only ever been to Bradford once and have no knowledge at all of the cultural norms of the Pakistani communities in that city, so thank you for sharing that.

I don't like the fact that it's becoming a word of reference - it only has negative connotations for me. If someone uses **** shop as shorthand for corner shop my shoulders drop automatically. The history of the word and the way it's been used against me means I have to much baggage with it to consider it anything but insulting.

And I agree with you about context.

Darbees, don't you think that the fact Pritt Stick is not familiar with these words within members of his community and myself likewise, suggest something?

You may well hear Asians or blacks addressing each other this way, obviously thats is your experience, I've only heard it rarely.

I occassionally hear white people addressing each other in 'over familiar' ways, however that wouldnt be a universal form of greeting would it?

You don't talk to strangers the same way you would speak to a family member or a close friend.

If I heard you jovially address one of your mates as a 'daft white bas***', I wouldnt come to the conclusion that it would be ok for me to do the same...fortunately, we're all blessed with a bit more common sense than that.