The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

Not much of scholar then, a simple google search brought up 260,000 images alone with 'No Irish Need Apply'.

As to the No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs phrase, Lord Taylor of Warwick felt enough resonance in the phrase to use it for the title of his book: Lord Taylor of Warwick

It's amazing the lengths to which some people will go to rewrite history.

did you even read the guys post? he said he couldnt find evidence of one of these signs in a public place.

or do you just not understand ?

Ugh, the PC Brigade needs to shut up, seriously.

Rich, who or what is this pc brigade?

did you even read the guys post? he said he couldnt find evidence of one of these signs in a public place.

or do you just not understand ?

Nor is he likely to, we've progressed since the 1950s, do you see?

he was searching for the signs in public places in the 50's

he is questioning they ever existed in the 50's

he was searching for the signs in public places in the 50's

he is questioning they ever existed in the 50's

Is he Dr Who or just an ordinary time traveller?

Rich, who or what is this pc brigade?

The loony left? Some group of politically correct silly people who are so worked up about not upsetting certain people they say "you can't say this that or the other" on various subjects! :loopy:

With due respect Max we know you're not daft.

Edited by Rich
self censorship, I don't wanna get banned again

how is the word gollywog racist? pm me to explain if needed x

The loony left? Some group of politically correct pillocks who are so worked up about not upsetting certain people they say "you can't say this that or the other" on various subjects! :loopy:

With due respect Max we know you're not daft.

Like not referring to people with disabilities as crips or spazzers or Joeys. It cuts both ways. Some terminology can be offensive and it's right that people think more about what they say.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cgksheff/Sheffield%20Forum/golliwogs.jpg

One is a childrens toy, the other is a competitor photographed at the Australian Open.

Hey! One silhouette looks like the other!

Should someone be damned for pointing this out in a humourous fashion? .... possibly indicating that she thought it was a funny choice of hairstyle?

I had a golly when I was little but on the birth of my child I desperately wanted my child to have one , I was told It wasn`t galled a golly W anymore has one had to be P C and it was now called a golly ethnic .I fell about laughing and said you call it what you like its still a golly

I have seen many references to 1950s signs with the wording of 'no blacks, no Irish, no dogs'. What I have not seen are photos of the signs themselves.

I don't know about blacks or Irish but in 1960, when fishing at March in Cambridgeshire, I saw a pub with a sign outside that read "GYPSIES WILL NOT BE SERVED HERE".