The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

Personally, I think you wanting to use violence against someone who called you a name is more disturbing..

.. but hey ho, everyone's different.

I was addressing the issue metaphorically.

..well I think we come from different generations fish!

But a little paternal advice, if you ever do decide to use the phrase as a term of endearment, dont do so indiscriminately! :lol:

I just couldn't use it unless it was a really close friend and in a humorous way and I knew they had they same sense of humour. Actually I just doubt I would use it at all. When I Was younger I would have been smacked for using such language and made to apologise.

..and why should you post on here? No one else does about the abuse they receive, but that doesn't mean it should be condoned.

Are you suggesting thats it's appropriate if black people verbally abuse you any way they like??

here's me thinking thats what this thread is about,some one infering gollywog means black man,i didnt condone the lad talking to me like he did and,had i not had a recent stroke i would have stopped to ask him if he had a problem with me

here's me thinking thats what this thread is about,some one infering gollywog means black man,i didnt condone the lad talking to me like he did and,had i not had a recent stroke i would have stopped to ask him if he had a problem with me

depoic - look at his post after

I just couldn't use it unless it was a really close friend and in a humorous way and I knew they had they same sense of humour. Actually I just doubt I would use it at all. When I Was younger I would have been smacked for using such language and made to apologise.

...you'll find most black folks are quite easy going about this stuff, and have been referred to in a wide range of funny and not so funny ways! I regularly engage in pretty lively banter with my mates, but I cant think of many that would call me nigga in fun, they have more creative imaginations!

...you'll find most black folks are quite easy going about this stuff, and have been referred to in a wide range of funny and not so funny ways! I regularly engage in pretty lively banter with my mates, but I cant think of many that would call me nigga in fun, they have more creative imaginations!

Actually I probably would be scared to in case my mom found out ;)

Well I think your post illustrates how we're all sensitive about different things, the man who abused you was wrong and if I'd been with you I would have told him so, end of story. No one has a right to be gratuitously offensive to anyone.

Ps..I'm sorry to hear about your recent stroke depoix, hope you make a speedy recovery mate :thumbsup:

Well I think your post illustrates how we're all sensitive about different things, the man who abused you was wrong and if I'd been with you I would have told him so, end of story. No one has a right to be gratuitously offensive to anyone.

Ps..I'm sorry to hear about your recent stroke depoix, hope you make a speedy recovery mate :thumbsup:

thank you boyfriday,the funny thing was,i had on a nice suit,shirt and tie and a crombie overcoat while the lad had on a pair of trousers about five sizes to big,a hat with a hole in it where he had pulled his hair through and a ripped and tatty army jacket,i mean if your going to abuse someone at least try to get on the same level and abuse them as an equal:hihi::hihi:

the lad had on a pair of trousers about five sizes to big

I believe this is some kind of fashion statement amongst young blacks on both sides of the Atlantic, as is 'low riding'.

I believe this is some kind of fashion statement amongst young blacks on both sides of the Atlantic, as is 'low riding'.

does that fit in with the limp a lot of them seem to have developed..

does that fit in with the limp a lot of them seem to have developed..

it gives them a kind of rolling gait, a little similar to Popeye's. Its probably caused by an incipient fear that their trousers will end up around their ankles as they walk.

The word 'golliwog' just seems like a childish and rather ignorant picture of what a previous generation thought about black faces. Innocent, but hilariously stupid.