The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

SOrry mate, I was aiming that for Mossdog. He hasn't responded though.

I can speak chinese as well btw, ok well maybe thats a lie of sorts as in a total one but I can nearly if I imagine.

You quoted me, and I was not sure... never mind. :P

I really think I need to learn some Mandarin though, and Japanese! :hihi:

So in todays news,Jeremy Clarkson has called Gordon Brown,"A ONE EYED SCOTTISH IDIOT" and accused the PM of lying!yet the BBC have chosen to overlook the comments!and not sacked him!(probably because it's true) Obviously Clarkson and Ross are big money spinners for the Beeb,......................Carol Thatcher is not, so has been sacrificed to the PC brigade.

Double standards or what?

Edited by mossdog

In one sense any particular word is irrelevant, as language is evolving all the time. I would probably not understand half the words todays teens use.

If one word is banned another will take its place, equally obnoxious if it is the speaker's intention to cause insult/offence.

So in todays news,Jeremy Clarkson has called Gordon Brown,"A ONE EYED SCOTTISH IDIOT" and accused the PM of lying!yet the BBC have chosen to overlook the comments!and not sacked him! Obviously Clarkson and Ross are big money spinners for the Beeb,......................Carol Thatcher is not so has been sacrificed to the PC brigade.

Double standards or what?

It's not really double standard. It is how the world is. I mean, when I was being sarky here, people did not get my joke, or relate to it. So, what am I going to do? Sulk? You move on...

There are going to be a lot of different kind of people, and I do not think that it is "playing the race card", or "being PC" for the sake of it. Well, sometimes it is, but not all of the time. There is no standard, and one size fit all for the whole of society, and nor has it always been that way any way. So why should it start?

There has always been regional differences, and accents, and people taking the mick out of each others' background, but it has never been nasty in its extreme way. (Well, there are those who take it to the extreme, but you avoid those ones.) I think most people do not like their skin tone being mentioned, because it is not something that they can do much about. Whereas you can change how you talk with a different accent, even though you cannot change your birthplace.

Even if someone insulted you and called you a woman, would you be offended? I assume that is a big ,yes. So, take that same analogy and magnify it 10 times. You see it happen every once in a while. Do you think that you should take it? You'd move on, or you move away from such people. Over time, it is not healthy, and nor should you have to tolerate such people.

I understand that some people are being sensitive and sensible, and they are taking it to the extreme by setting it as extremely fair. That has never been what ethnic minorities fought for any way. Most people with common sense will know. It is understanding and drawing that line.

I remember an interesting conversation with Bartfarst a long time ago that, it is non-ethnic minorities making ethnic minorities' lives much harder by highlighting the differences and assuming that people will be offended, when they may not be offended, so therefore you end up getting some individuals who deliberately pushes your buttons and see how far you would go, and this starts fuelling the race debate and relation and so forth. I do not understand that, half the rules made up for race relation are not from the voices of ethnic minorities, but from the majorities. How can that work?

Edited by Bago
It didn't make sense.

Dead right Pritt Stick, a racist will always be a racist despite the tools or words he has at his disposal.

There is a very high percentage of black and Asian kids at my girl's school and if any of my daughters saw a Gollywog, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't relate it to any of their classmates. London's OK, I'm in Lee SE12, it's a neccessary evil for me but we will move back to God's country one day

I remember my nephew coming home and told me that someone teased him with, "Chinese, Japanese, don't forget to wash your knees". I mentally flipped, but then I calmly asked him when did that happen, and what did he do? He told them that he'll get his chinese teacher to tell them off. (Right on! Even though they have no idea that he goes to another school to pick up his chinese... :rolleyes: But I was so happy that he kind of stood up for himself. Not like I did, and cried all the way home when I first came to the UK, not knowing why I was subjected to such attention.)

He still play with those boys in his school, and he has toughened up a lot. However, I don't think that he "should" need to. Also, the other kids should know how to be respectful to each other. I was surprised that my nephew also found it offensive. I don't know if he really know what it all mean, but the fact that it was many people saying that to one single poor him, he does feel a tad defensive, to be honest.

I think kids are indeed very innocent, but then it does toughen you up by being exposed to it. What I do fear is if the table turns itself around, and then the other person also fight back and taunt back the insults, and then.... we'd have something on our hands.