The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

I heard the w word used in school and the teacher said actually it means western oriental gentleman ,made me giggle then still does now

Many years ago, my cousin had a Golliwog Doll. We'd both be about 6 or 7 years old at the time.

"Golliwog" is a character in children's literature introduced by Florence Kate Upton in the late 19th Century, inspired by a black-faced Minstrel Doll she had as a child.

Wikipedia Reference

It was regarded as nothing other than a doll by anyone ... and followed on (at that time) from Enid Blyton's stories for children.

The PC Brigade lately (yep, they were in their infancy then ..... not the "Army of the Hysterical Loonies" they've morphed into now) ...... has managed to ruin Enid Blyton's children's tales of adventure and imagination written to give young children's imaginations some exercise and to encourage their participation in early reading.

So, although the term "Wog" has been known for its use in the past as a racial insult I too, like "pennycrayon" and her teacher, understand the term "WOG" to mean "Westernised Oriental Gentleman".

There's more about its use in various parts of the world here (as Lord Chaverly pointed out) :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

Edited by shoeshine

I've got a toy knitted by my auntie about 60 years ago. It is a golliwog, it was always called a golliwog and will always be one.

I don't give a damn if that offends someone, it is a toy, for pities sake, and has never offended anyone in all its long life.

I would never use the word to refer to someone or to call them that. That would be offensive and I would never use any derogatory term about anyone in respect of their race,ethnicity, disability or sexual preference.

If people can't see the difference then it is they who need to change. The more innocently used words are proscribed , the more ridiculous it all gets.

We have to get a grip on this stupidity.

my take on it

1: i have nothing against our beloved old jam jar gollywogs, in fact ill prolly be gaining quite a few of the badges when my old man pops it.

2: im not offended by the use in the old storybooks.

3: but im afraid when she physically calls somebody one (cos of his hair? and colour? ive never seen him) then im sorry but thats taking stupidity to another level.......no way in hell would that end any other way than a furore

Well I used to work in a black unemployment centre and One day someone used the n word which it seemed they banded about like it was second nature to them ,I just carried on with my work ,till out the corner of my eye i saw a little girl with a golly,as she walked about the office with the golly under her arm ,she asked me if i could hold Mr golly W while she went for pee pee ,I could`t help but laugh how the world turns huh

Golliwog / wog was used as a term of abuse by white kids against black kids at the school I went to in the 70s. It was superceded by other words later on in that decade.

I understand that some people don't mean it as a form of racist abuse.

Well I used to work in a black unemployment centre and One day someone used the n word which it seemed they banded about like it was second nature to them ,I just carried on with my work ,till out the corner of my eye i saw a little girl with a golly,as she walked about the office with the golly under her arm ,she asked me if i could hold Mr golly W while she went for pee pee ,I could`t help but laugh how the world turns huh

It's nothing new Penny, even children get irony! I had a battered, one armed, black dolly with ginger hair, and blue eyes (someone must have seen the politically correct potential in that), I loved her, and had a full wardrobe of clothes for her, but confess I preferred her naked apart from a pair of gingham knickers and little plastic cowboy hat...then they wonder why I'm just a little bit weird carrying that fetish through life with me :hihi:

It's nothing new Penny, even children get irony! I had a battered, one armed, black dolly with ginger hair, and blue eyes (someone must have seen the politically correct potential in that), I loved her, and had a full wardrobe of clothes for her, but confess I preferred her naked apart from a pair of gingham knickers and little plastic cowboy hat...then they wonder why I'm just a little bit weird carrying that fetish through life with me :hihi:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL you into vynal now and pvc lol

my take on it

1: i have nothing against our beloved old jam jar gollywogs, in fact ill prolly be gaining quite a few of the badges when my old man pops it.

2: im not offended by the use in the old storybooks.

3: but im afraid when she physically calls somebody one (cos of his hair? and colour? ive never seen him) then im sorry but thats taking stupidity to another level.......no way in hell would that end any other way than a furore

Flippin ell, just read the link, you're dead right, it's a doll/label on a jar that shouldn't be taken out of contect so is harmless so say some posters, well Carol Thatcher took it out of context by appending its attributes to a human being.

no hes into crayons

errrrrrrrrrrm

<<<smacks the relish behave lol

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL you into vynal now and pvc lol

.... you havent ever endured a relationship with me have you Penny?? :lol:

.... you havent ever endured a relationship with me have you Penny?? :lol:

Nor you I, you wouldn`t survive