The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

She was in the 'Green Room' when these comments were allegedly made having a private conversation.

This topic was discussed on a live channel 5 show this morning. The overwhelming consensus was that the snivelling little back-stabber who saw fit to report this non event should be put up against a wall and shot. Rather like those who choose to look for and find offence in anything and everything just for the sheer hell of it, swiftly followed by the hand-wringing liberals amongst us whom condone their behaviour.

This is a very good point, cloudy. Many of these incidents seem to stem from feigned outrage by people who are seeking to cut a moral dash by 'outing' others. Its very similar to the kind of finger-pointing which used to go on in totalitarian societies. In ours, you don't get sent to Siberia, you get shunned and sacked

I believe the One Show is live, as I hear the Ulster mouthpiece was marooned by the weather on Monday at Belfast airport and unable to take her place alongside her 'chum' Chiles.

Isn't she Chiles' current willy warmer? Or is this just unfounded gossip?

i used to have a gollywog, i saved up the tokens on the jars for ages. it was my fave doll, then my mum took it off me and said it was racist. she hit me when i said its not racist it likes black people too. i was only 9/10.

Isn't she Chiles' current willy warmer? or is this just unfounded gossip?

There was a piece in a recent newspaper concerning this; he was seen dismounting and holding his helmet.

(dismounting his motorcycle that is).

Isn't she Chiles' current willy warmer? Or is this just unfounded gossip?

Well, he's left his wife and she's just split from her partner. Draw your own conclusion.................:)

So Thatcher can be shown on TV urinating in a public place and that is ok, but this is not. That about sums this country up.

Oh dear Lord of the Chavs, it's as we've never left the 1950s. What next, no blacks, no Irish, no gypsies signs on b&bs?

I have seen many references to 1950s signs with the wording of 'no blacks, no Irish, no dogs'. What I have not seen are photos of the signs themselves. People claim to have seen them, but as far as I know do not reproduce them in visual form. These signs have now entered into the collective memory, to be mentioned quite frequently on forums such as this. I do not doubt that discrimination existed in this period (and beyond), particularly against blacks. However, I am not convinced that these signs (i.e. with the wording quoted above) were in widespread use in the 1950s or subsequently.

Interestingly, an American scholar has sought to trace a similar sign, i.e. 'No Irish Need Apply (NINO), which many public figures have made reference to, or even claim to have seen. He has searched high and low for any visual evidence of such signs, without success. He has come to the conclusion that it is an example of the myth of victimisation in relation to the Irish experience in the US. There is surely enough empirical evidence of discrimination of one sort or another in relation to certain ethnic groups without having to resort to the peddling of urban myths.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~rjensen/no-irish.htm

Anyone remember Derek Laud....the black toff guy who wrote speeches for Margaret Thatcher (amongst others)....who was a housemate on Big Brother a few years ago.

Derek, during one of the tasks, told his fellow housemates not to upset the "Golly" (meaning himself).

I have a golly too.....I had one as a child but somewhere along the way it got lost....I got a "replacement" in Skegness whilst on holiday a few years back :love:

I have seen many references to 1950s signs with the wording of 'no blacks, no Irish, no dogs'. What I have not seen are photos of the signs themselves. People claim to have seen them, but as far as I know do not reproduce them in visual form. These signs have now entered into the collective memory, to be mentioned quite frequently on forums such as this. I do not doubt that discrimination existed in this period (and beyond), particularly against blacks. However, I am not convinced that these signs (i.e. with the wording quoted above) were in widespread use in the 1950s or subsequently.

Interestingly, an American scholar has sought to trace a similar sign, i.e. 'No Irish Need Apply (NINO), which many public figures have made reference to, or even claim to have seen. He has searched high and low for any visual evidence of such signs, without success. He has come to the conclusion that it is an example of the myth of victimisation in relation to the Irish experience in the US. There is surely enough empirical evidence of discrimination of one sort or another in relation to certain ethnic groups without having to resort to the peddling of urban myths.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~rjensen/no-irish.htm

Not much of scholar then, a simple google search brought up 260,000 images alone with 'No Irish Need Apply'.

As to the No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs phrase, Lord Taylor of Warwick felt enough resonance in the phrase to use it for the title of his book: Lord Taylor of Warwick

It's amazing the lengths to which some people will go to rewrite history.

Ugh, the PC Brigade needs to shut up, seriously.