The curse of the 'golliwog' strikes again.

everyone knows a golly is a doll or a label on a jar,about time people stopped reading things into statements that are often twisted to cause controversy

So if she'd just said 'golly' would it have been ok? Is the One Show actually live then? otherwise I guess they would have edited it out.

So if she'd just said 'golly' would it have been ok? Is the One Show actually live then? otherwise I guess they would have edited it out.
i think it would, golly can still mean gosh:hihi:

madness - the political correct brigade strike again:rant::loopy::loopy:

Oh dear Lord of the Chavs, it's as we've never left the 1950s. What next, no blacks, no Irish, no gypsies signs on b&bs?

'Golly' has a different, and older, etymology. Generally speaking, it is a very mild euphemism for 'God' (as is 'gosh'). So we can still 'golly' all we want. However, regardless of etymological considerations, words can still be viewed as offensive, as the US official who used the word 'niggardly' found out to his cost some years ago.

I have a golly, I used to have one as a child and he was called "Golly Austin" named after Steve Austin. It was just a toy to me. I had a black friend who collected them too.

Could account for the fact that I never hear Debussy's "Golliwog's Cakewalk" on Radio 3 anymore?

She was in the 'Green Room' when these comments were allegedly made having a private conversation.

This topic was discussed on a live channel 5 show this morning. The overwhelming consensus was that the snivelling little back-stabber who saw fit to report this non event should be put up against a wall and shot. Rather like those who choose to look for and find offence in anything and everything just for the sheer hell of it, swiftly followed by the hand-wringing liberals amongst us whom condone their behaviour.

I believe the One Show is live, as I hear the Ulster mouthpiece was marooned by the weather on Monday at Belfast airport and unable to take her place alongside her 'chum' Chiles.

we all make comments to friends, that if other people heard, they may well take offence to. If you heard some of my comments intended for friends who know me well enough not to take seriously everything I say, you may think me an ignorant fool..........if you don't already!