Unimpressed by job applicants

no i was poor we didnt have a commadore. lol.

gaming for me now isnt because ive got money to spend etc, its because im housebound due to being a carer, i could either sit and watch tv till my eyes bleed or meet people and still have sane conversation with people all over the world.

I doubt that you'll find many C++ graduates at all, but if that's what your searching for then you want to advertise on places like totaljobs and cwjobs.
The only fresh grads who can do C++ are postgrads who realised that learning Fortran in 2005 solely to crunch numbers was a slightly dumb thing. Even then most of thse guys can't do OO!

The only fresh grads who can do C++ are postgrads who realised that learning Fortran in 2005 solely to crunch numbers was a slightly dumb thing. Even then most of thse guys can't do OO!

Exactly, I don't think C++ is really a common language to be taught any more.

If it's OO then they've probably been taught Java, maybe C#, possibly some other option that I'm not aware of.

I did one module of C and one module of C++ at uni (not OO though), I only did OO theory.

The problem is that going from Java (for example) to C++ requires a bit of learning, all that memory allocation and deallocation for a start and probably other stuff that I've forgotten.

I had an interview in a games/console shop the other day. The interviewer was a complete idiot and up his own arse and clearly thinks he is better than everyone else. There was no way I was going to work there.

Just interviewed yet another candidate for a job in my shop and i have to say im not in the least bit impressed. Ive interviewed many applicants and all have been a let down and im starting to think no one wants to work.

These people have been scruffy, rude, late or not even turned up at all and heres me thinking we are in a recession.

Has anyone elsse found they are having similar problems or is it just me?

What does the job involve, duties etc?

If you are employing young people, then maybe this is the first job in their lives. So, I would not rule them out at all. Some are ready to be moulded and trained, and is keen to learn. I think you can always tell the difference between those who want to learn, and those who don't.

Even now, in my current workplace, you can see adults behaving like children, and not as a professional. Then you have the ones which are really professional, curt and formal, even though you work in the same team and is supposed to bond and build up your working relationship? :hihi:

A games and retro shop, huh? Sounds like something that satisfies my interests :) What positions are available, and where in Sheffield is it based?