Unimpressed by job applicants

With all the hysteria about ' Elf & Safety ' and about 30 years of the Nanny State, I 'm surprised any Youfs could find their own way to anywhere for an interview [ O.P. ] It's possible of course that Mummy was waiting outside the shop, in each case, to take them home.

woah woah woah....

im a teen lol

but i dont go like that

thats just steriotypical there :(

sorry hun, your an exception to the fact, i should have said "most" teenagers.

well to be honest atleast am better than you

im not as sad as u sittin on a computer ****in everyones thread up

nice one ;)

bet your parents are right proud of you ;)

its very rare this days to have a youth turning up for work every day, do a good job for little pay, as they get bored easy, better off hiring man in their 30s as they will still know abit about games

It's funny, because the restaurant where I worked before going self employed had the opposite problem. All the waiting was done by 16 and 17 year olds. They were all on minimum wage (which is really sod all for the under 18s) but they were efficient, worked hard, and handled the pressure well.

On the other hand, the manager was a middle aged man on £35k, who was universally despised by the staff because he was a useless, arrogant, back stabber who didn't have a clue what was going on, but was a genius at taking credit for other people's efforts.

Its a computer/console store where i will be selling new and used consoles (including retro) games and various other related items. Ive been looking at the younger end of the scale and im starting to think id be better off employing someone older.

:o Aren't there laws against ageism when recruiting?

unfortunatley that post isnt a joke, hes had a few threads removed already, but he is living proof of the OP dis heartened job apps. that is proof of how the younger end seem to be these days.

Thats somebody playing around. If they were as bad as spelling as their posts suggests, they would write 'i' instead of 'I', neglect full stops altogether and a few other things.

My OH would probably be a good candidate for this job of batmong's... He's an Assistant Moderator on the tech section and a complete wiz with computes / consoles etc and very into the retro games... I think he may already have PM'd batmong but as yet hasn't had a response. I'm refering to Ghozer if anyone was wondering who I meant.

I think mostly people do want to work, they just have an aversion to working for next to nothing when the alternatives leave them better off.

Society is always to blame, that's a cop out. There are many more people doing what is expected of them and all live in todays society. Blaming parents is also not necessarily the case, there are plenty of good hard working parents with toe rags for children.

Aren't these two posts slightly contradictory topb?

Our society has welfare. If welfare leaves people better off, then it's not a cop out, as such.

Edit to add: Not so much arguing with you because I tend to agree in part, with your first post. I don't think now there is NMW, that it is working for next to nothing... only maybe when compared with the alternative, of welfare. :)

Edited by *_ash_*
added some more.

I think society is to blame and some of the current attitudes of some kids, some of which has been instilled by bad parenting/ lack of support.

How is society to blame for being lazy or unwilling to work?

Because at the moment people in the Uk are being told they can do what they want and the government will sort them out with the dole.

Lazy is being built into the kids. It's always some bugger else's fault and you can get away with what you like.

Bad parenting is just the last generation given the same values coming of age.

...better off hiring man in their 30s as they will still know abit about games

I am in my 50's and I still play computer games, I've even written a level for a game called "Thief" and have plans to write a few more, I'm a fan of the stealth genre.

A persons age is no barrier to knowing about games, or to being employed in a shop selling them.

I suggest the OP looks for the best person rather than the best young person.