More B.S.O.D problems

Hey all. I was just wondering if any of you are any good at translating blue screen of death error codes?

I'm running:

XP Pro SP3/ XP Pro x64 (dual boot)

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600

4 Gig RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

When using 32bit XP, I've recently noticed quite a few crashes. Sometimes it just restarts, other times it just goes to the infamous blue screen.

Upon rebooting, all seems well for a few more days before the same happens.

I managed to get the blue screen info this time.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A,

(0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8084B6F8)

Any help would be much appreciated.:thumbsup:

all the info i can find on it is pointing towards bad drivers try updating them all ;)

Don't even bother. How many sticks of RAM are in it? If more than one try it with just one at a time and see if it still crashes, it could be a memory problem. Make sure all the fans are clean, including the graphics card. If you want to eliminate software further try running it in safemode. Some things that are eary to try.

Thanks for the quick reply.

All the fans are clean and the motherboard (and everything attached to it) is dust free.

There's 4x1gig sticks, so will give it a try although its often days between crashes, and it doesn't seem to be triggered by any program in particular.

Microsoft updates up to date too.

Is Driver Max my best option for finding ones I've missed or am i best avoiding that one?

You could try downloading memtest 86 and leave it running overnight to test the memory. Also check your temps with speedfan

I'd drop it back to 2GB and run it for a few days.

Then try the other two 2GB sticks.

running 4GB (or 3.75GB) with Windows XP 32bit can cause crashes, especially if your motherboards PAE / Memory remap feature isn't configured properly..

as suggested above, Run it with 2GB or 3GB only, and see how it goes.

I had a tremendous amount of problems with one of my PCs last year, and it was traced back to either a faulty stick of RAM, or a faulty RAM slot. BSODs every five minutes and trying to watch anything HD took about 5 attempts to get through the whole thing (including reboots)...

Memtest didn't show anything, but that's what it was.

Strangely, even though its Vista, it's running better on 1gb ram than my equivalant specced machine at my office that's running on XP with 3gb!