Rescue centres and RSPCA

Apology accepted whoever you are:D

The drop may be significant as you say but the problem of strays will persist until the laws are tightened on breeding and there is a concerted effort; particularly by councils, to install a programme of neutering and spaying dogs that are already in care as these are currently at risk of being adopted for breeding purposes by no marks who show no aptitude or intelligence for legitimate employment.

Why on earth would it be the Councils responsibilty to have someones dog "spayed or neutered" surly it is the resopnsibilty of the owner of the animal to decide if they want this to happen, how many posts would we get on here if "The Council" in whatever form went round making people get their dogs "done", if its a welfare issue then it should be up to the RSPCA or PDSA to help out owners who cant afford to have this done.

I read on the Forum somewhere about the free microchipping that thr RSPCA had been doing, when I went to one with one of my dogs, it was the dog wardens who chipped my dog with a free chip donated by dogs trust, just where the RSPCA came into this I dont understand ????

The Council has to deal with stray dogs as some office bound idot in london has made a decision, I am sure that they would not do it from choice, certainly not for all the grief that they get from people who,s dog they end up with, then when they get lumbered with all the unclaimed dogs and get slagged off on here for either adopting them out or even worse having them put to sleep. I know you wont like this but as soon as there is more regulation to make it harder to get a dog and keep it the better. It should cost EVERYONE a hefty license fee to keep a dog at a property then the fees could be used to "police" the responsible keeping of dogs.

=Shytalk;4672203]Why on earth would it be the Councils responsibilty to have someones dog "spayed or neutered" surly it is the resopnsibilty of the owner of the animal to decide if they want this to happen, how many posts would we get on here if "The Council" in whatever form went round making people get their dogs "done", if its a welfare issue then it should be up to the RSPCA or PDSA to help out owners who cant afford to have this done.

Because councils albeit courtesy of DEFRA are now responsible for strays and abandoned dogs, in turn the council in their capacity to serve the public should make every effort to insure that the animals that are not reclaimed, that go up for adoption cannot add to the problem.

No-ones asking the council to 'go round' enforcing neutering and spaying, the council have the dogs in their possession, do it before they leave council property..

The Council has to deal with stray dogs as some office bound idot in london has made a decision, I am sure that they would not do it from choice, certainly not for all the grief that they get from people who,s dog they end up with, then when they get lumbered with all the unclaimed dogs and get slagged off on here for either adopting them out or even worse having them put to sleep. I know you wont like this but as soon as there is more regulation to make it harder to get a dog and keep it the better.

Something we can agree on. It should be nightmare to obtain a dog without proof that you are capable of looking after it and providing the very basics in care and welfare.

Question to topb,,,, do ALL rescues get dogs spayed or nutered before the "sell" them on to a new owner ????.

From what I have picked up from other threads and comments on other sites a lot have stopped doing this since they were stopped being given vouchers by the Dogs Trust, I understand that even the RSPCA used vouchers issued by the Dogs Trust when the scheme was openly available.

Many rescues and other organisations "abused" this scheme, which could be one of the reasons that the Dogs Trust has stopped giving them out to just anyone and you now have to apply direct to them for a voucher, its probably why they stopped giving out the free microchips as well.

=Shytalk;4675407]Question to topb,,,, do ALL rescues get dogs spayed or nutered before the "sell" them on to a new owner ????.

From what I have picked up from other threads and comments on other sites a lot have stopped doing this since they were stopped being given vouchers by the Dogs Trust, I understand that even the RSPCA used vouchers issued by the Dogs Trust when the scheme was openly available.

Can someone not take the initiative rather than see what everyone else is doing for a change. It's also plain to see from other threads that there is a problem that needs dealing with. Why not take the lead?

=Shytalk;4675407]Question to topb,,,, do ALL rescues get dogs spayed or nutered before the "sell" them on to a new owner ????.

I don't know.

I don't know.

There has been a lot of discussion over who was to blame for the pound dog that didn't get neutered because the Dogs' Trust withdrew the vouchers.

As far as I'm aware, the Dogs' Trust have been supplementing the majority of rescues for a number of years now and the withdrawal of that service doesn't mean that any rescue should change it's policy on neutering. Reputable rescues would have already been neutering, prior to the financial help from Dogs' Trust, and they would have explored reduced rates with vets to ensure that they could continue to do so.