Rescue centres and RSPCA

I had started to feel increasingly uncomfortable reading this thread as I can't see anything being achieved by it. I've had quite a few things to say about the RSPCA in the past, but being completely negative about an organisation, the Inspectorate or an individual branch doesn't change a single thing.

I sympathised and agreed with quite a lot of your post MrsDiddle but I think this was a little naive.

Though RSPCA Sheffield do not have the council contract for dealing with strays they DO take abandonments, unwanted pets and injured or ill animals. If a stray is injured or ill where do you think it ends up? In my mind this says they get the strays that need help the most.

Such animals end up literally anywhere. Every rescue in South Yorkshire could produce a list of injured or ill animals they've cared for so please don't take that credit away from them. The difference is none are likely to have the funds to privately prosecute owners even if they did find out who had caused the suffering. I think someone else has already said rescues are just "mopping up" the real problems.

There is a lot of good done, let's not forget that, and to slate the RSPCA completely isn't productive for anyone, particularly the animals everyone is striving to help. I could give examples, both good and bad and I'm sure that could be said for every rescue, every one will have made mistakes that they could hold their hands up to.

Animals would be much better served by everyone working together to find a workable solution.

I had started to feel increasingly uncomfortable reading this thread as I can't see anything being achieved by it. I've had quite a few things to say about the RSPCA in the past, but being completely negative about an organisation, the Inspectorate or an individual branch doesn't change a single thing.

I sympathised and agreed with quite a lot of your post MrsDiddle but I think this was a little naive.

Such animals end up literally anywhere. Every rescue in South Yorkshire could produce a list of injured or ill animals they've cared for so please don't take that credit away from them. The difference is none are likely to have the funds to privately prosecute owners even if they did find out who had caused the suffering. I think someone else has already said rescues are just "mopping up" the real problems.

There is a lot of good done, let's not forget that, and to slate the RSPCA completely isn't productive for anyone, particularly the animals everyone is striving to help. I could give examples, both good and bad and I'm sure that could be said for every rescue, every one will have made mistakes that they could hold their hands up to.

Animals would be much better served by everyone working together to find a workable solution.

I agree with much of what you have said, but I think that before we can all work together for the benefit of animals it has to be seen and agreed by all that there is a problem, then the really good stuff can begin on an unprecedented scale, wouldn't it be just brilliant if Sheffield was to lead the way in how it looks after it's animals before the whole country, that would be a great day.

It appears that there is a need to work together on this and what still needs further clarification is the thresholds and specification (or offer) of each individual service are to ensure that the support is in place at the right time and from the right place for these animals.

I think clarification is needed on the function and service offer of each area only then surely can it be challenged in terms of a council/environmental issue or a charitable issue (that people donate to for a cause)

There should be clear pathways and joint working between the council pound and RSPCA but lets be clear on the functions of each and the demand in the local communty:(:huh:

Then we can be clearer on where needs support:|

It appears that there is a need to work together on this and what still needs further clarification is the thresholds and specification (or offer) of each individual service are to ensure that the support is in place at the right time and from the right place for these animals.

I think clarification is needed on the function and service offer of each area only then surely can it be challenged in terms of a council/environmental issue or a charitable issue (that people donate to for a cause)

There should be clear pathways and joint working between the council pound and RSPCA but lets be clear on the functions of each and the demand in the local communty:(:huh:

Then we can be clearer on where needs support:|

Absolutely, good post kitty123 you hit the nail on the head :thumbsup:

Yes Fishpole fingers firmly crossed :)

Whatever the outcome between the factions, it remains that one or both will be dealing with a symptom and not the cause. Yes we all want the best for the animals that wind up in care but if the need for the service continues to grow because of a disrespect for their lives by a minority of the public then there is where the effort should be made.

I think it should be the responsability of anyone selling an animal to ensure that its potential new owner is aware of how to take care of it and what equipment they need to have and also any potential medical issues that could arise BEFORE any exchange of cash. I think that if a dealer / breeder etc sells an animal without ensuring the animal is going to a suitable home they should be held as responsible as the new owner for anything which should happen after the animal is rehomed.

I think it should be the responsability of anyone selling an animal to ensure that its potential new owner is aware of how to take care of it and what equipment they need to have and also any potential medical issues that could arise BEFORE any exchange of cash. I think that if a dealer / breeder etc sells an animal without ensuring the animal is going to a suitable home they should be held as responsible as the new owner for anything which should happen after the animal is rehomed.

With close on 200 breeds of dogs to choose from being aware of the medical issues that go with them is a tall order.

Define a suitable home

Simple, any breeder who breeds a specific breed of dog should know about the medical conditions associated with that breed. They should warn owners of possible symptoms and tell them either how to manage the condition if veterinary care is not needed or tell them to immediately contact their vet if the described symptoms develop. Other than that making sure potential owners understand that a large dog needs a garden, regular walks (and how many walks a day as an ideal) and how high their fence needs to be in order to prevent the dog escaping. The new owner should be made to sign a contract confirming this information has been given in order for the breeder / dealer to prove they have done everything in their power to establish the dog is going to a home that is prepared for its needs. I know some breeders will insist on home visits before they sell a dog, I'm not suggesting things go this far but they need to make owners aware of what they're getting themselves into as not everyone thinks to research their chosen breed.

Simple, any breeder who breeds a specific breed of dog should know about the medical conditions associated with that breed. They should warn owners of possible symptoms and tell them either how to manage the condition if veterinary care is not needed or tell them to immediately contact their vet if the described symptoms develop. Other than that making sure potential owners understand that a large dog needs a garden, regular walks (and how many walks a day as an ideal) and how high their fence needs to be in order to prevent the dog escaping. The new owner should be made to sign a contract confirming this information has been given in order for the breeder / dealer to prove they have done everything in their power to establish the dog is going to a home that is prepared for its needs. I know some breeders will insist on home visits before they sell a dog, I'm not suggesting things go this far but they need to make owners aware of what they're getting themselves into as not everyone thinks to research their chosen breed.

I agree and as far as reputable breeders go I'm sure this is the case but it can't work with shelters and sanctuaries because of the assortment of dogs that arrive there including all manner of crossbreeds. With the best will in the world staff cannot know what ailments may occur with each type or breed. The problem on the streets is caused by morons who know nothing and who's interests lie in profit. These invariably are what people view when they set out to adopt. It's already been established that home checks are not infallible as people determined to breed indiscriminantly will give and show a false address in order to obtain stock. Information such as you suggest on feeding/exercise are already a part of normal adoption procedures and as many owners have experience of dogs a lot of the additional information is already known.

Problems occur through lack of experience/knowledge/patience they simply do not put the time in to get the results they desire.

I wasn't meaning rescue centres / sanctuaries, these already go above and beyond the call of duty IMO as these are usually the ones who do home visits etc and if an animal arrives with them with an existing medical condition they always infor the new owner. From what I remember about when my grandmother adopted her current dog from the RSPCA I believe she also had to sign paperwork which included a section that said she had been informed of all current information relevant to the dogs future care (or something like that). Please don't quote me on that though as it's been about 8 years since that happened and I've slept since then. If the problem can be eliminated at source i.e buyers are fully aware of what they are getting themselves into then the number of stray / abandoned pets should take a massive drop and maybe the pressure will be taken off the rescue centres / sanctuaries etc which is what is really needed.

Sorry, posting as my OH again...

Nik Nak

If the problem can be eliminated at source i.e buyers are fully aware of what they are getting themselves into then the number of stray / abandoned pets should take a massive drop and maybe the pressure will be taken off the rescue centres / sanctuaries etc which is what is really needed.

Sorry, posting as my OH again...

Nik Nak

Apology accepted whoever you are:D

The drop may be significant as you say but the problem of strays will persist until the laws are tightened on breeding and there is a concerted effort; particularly by councils, to install a programme of neutering and spaying dogs that are already in care as these are currently at risk of being adopted for breeding purposes by no marks who show no aptitude or intelligence for legitimate employment.