Snow photos (Feb 2009)

3251512804_98c7334680.jpg?v=0

3251510568_e56d32f04b.jpg?v=0

3251509510_a01036c46f.jpg?v=0

3251832844_20906c5d8a.jpg?v=0

3251831646_73f1c95cd8.jpg?v=0

3251835766_785dce8a8b.jpg?v=0

Edited by starmag

well done starmag , great photographs and great mono conversions , really enjoyed , would be intersted to know what equipment you used

Like the tanics ones.

Starmag the first and last ones are brilliant.

Never put a pic in here before, not as good as any of you,

but just thought as its snow I would show you theses taken at Ulley on Monday

ulleysnow035.jpg

ulleysnow056.jpg

Nice shots Mary Poppins - love the composition on the first one :-)

To checknumber, I used a Nikon D200 and a tripod. They range from between 2 and 5 second exposures, to get that starlight effect on the lampposts (its a lovely trick), which meant that I was shooting at about f22 or 25.

I would have loved to have taken more, but it was too cold and too annoying having to pack everything up every 2 minutes to carry it 100 yards down the road!

cheers starmag , I have just got a nikon d80 with 18 - 135mm lens , if I can get anywhere near your standard I will be highly satisfied .

Thanks a lot checknumber, thats a massive compliment. I still consider myself a newbie, I bought my first digi camera last April. I've also got the 18-135 lens, but it got smashed in the post - boo. great lens though. You can't go wrong with the D80. lovely camera.

Let me know if I can help out with anything..

These are no way as good as you guys but here are some of my pics. I still need to work on composition.

snow1.jpg

Flowers-6.jpg

Flowers-18.jpg

Silly question, was a tripod used for all the pics posted here.

Ikira, they're great. but just try to think about 'dead space'. Is every part of the picture absolutely necessary? I think the white foreground in number 3 is a little too much in landscape, but in portrait, this might have been a different story. Number 2 is the same..is the focus on the leaves or the background? could you have cropped this differently to fill the space? was there another angle to make the composition stronger (look up rule of 3rds and diagonal lines..)..otherwise, they're just great. lovely perspective in number 1..

ikira, just about number one, this link i have put here is just an example if you flipped the camera the other way...

Through the trees take two

the main thing I find is to take the photo from every angle, every height and then take them home and see which one works best on the computer, youll soon see the difference if you have a load of comparisions, and will get the experience to know which one works best in different situations. I just spent the afternoon deleting most of my snow photos cos thats how I work...

dull...

I get you both now, all my snowy photos contain lots of dead space. Your photo looks brilliant verydull. I'll have another go this weekend and see if I've learnt something new.