Children with autism, Sheffield or Rotherham better?

Has anyone any experience of provision for Children with autism in Rotherham?

We currently live in Sheffield, our little boy has today been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and ADHD amongst other things. We were contemplating a house move and found a rather nice house in Rawmarsh. We have struggled to find a nice house which is large enough for our needs but in a decent area in Sheffield.

The move will be disruptive for the little boy, but I wondered if the Rotherham education services and the Health Services are any better or any worse than those offered in Sheffield?

Ideally I would like to hear from someone who has experienced both, but if not, someone who has experienced Rotherham services.

Thank you.

I do believe that they are now managed in the same way.

I campaign at a national level for changes to support for people with Asperger Syndrome.

If you go to the NAS website, they are asking everyone to email their MP to support the 2nd reading of The Autism Bill in parliament at the end of February.

Nationally it is recognised that there is just not enough support for children and adults on the spectrum. Check with the catchment area of the school in Rotherham or contact Rotherham Borough Councils education Dept first though.

We currently live in Sheffield, our little boy has today been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and ADHD amongst other things. We were contemplating a house move and found a rather nice house in Rawmarsh. We have struggled to find a nice house which is large enough for our needs but in a decent area in Sheffield.

The move will be disruptive for the little boy, but I wondered if the Rotherham education services and the Health Services are any better or any worse than those offered in Sheffield?

Ideally I would like to hear from someone who has experienced both, but if not, someone who has experienced Rotherham services.

Thank you.

I live in Rawmarsh and have a son who i am trying to get sorted out for autism. You probably know about all the stress and strain but i too am looking for a school that will be able to help my son better than where he is at the moment.I will be making lots of enquiries tomorrow for primary schools but for comps swinton has an autistic unit and wath comp is said to be fantastic.Will keep you posted, regards danny rawmarsh p.s if you want to contact me Email is d2vuk@yahoo.co.uk

my son is 5 he has a lanuage disorder, adhd and asd i live in sheffield, i have had loads of help from the ryegate childrens hospital, where ever you choose to live they have to provide the care and support your child needs, but as with any council you will find at sometime in your life with a child with special needs you have to fight if you truely want something that you think your child should have i have 3 with different disabilites and are always on a mission to improve theirs lives and needs

hi there,

i've just read your post on the forum (obviously doh!). I'm sorry to hear about your sons diagnosis, but at least you know what you are dealing with now.

you didn't say wether you had a mainstream or special school in mind

MY autistic son aged 13 goes to hilltop school in maltby, it's for special needs kids and i can't praise it enough.there are quite afew good schools in rotherham, kelford is supposed to be good too.I've also got a 15 year old with aspergers who is in mainstream school and he has really struggled to cope with that.

I've got too much to say to write it in a post so if you would like to contact me you are more than welcome. i would be more than happy to offer any help or advice.

take care,

julie xx

Details of the Ryegate Centre here

Edited by Rich
Adding helpful (I hope) link

Thank you.

My son attends ryegate he has autistic tenencies and they aso think he has asberges. He has learning difficulties to , i think ryegate are great they have been so helpful with my son. Mental health problems run in my family, boy im not all that sane either lol. No but on a serious note i hope your move goes ok. My little boy was a nightmare when we moved and was constantly panicking about things. No matter how much i told him what was happening he still did not understand and asked me endless what was going on. Lucky for me not only have ryegate that is great but a fantasic support network. I have friends with children that have autism ect which i always think is a good thing. So i have someone that understands what i have to go through or somene just to moan at. Plus i have plenty of early exeriance seems my ssters both have autism ect. Sending you my best wishes x

Hi there my son has autism and started main stream school last october. We have had no support since his diagnosis in jan 08 at all and he gets very little support from any services at school

I am 16 and have just left Swinton community school. I have aspergers syndrome and was put into the care of the Autistic Unit. I had a taxi from my house to school and back again every school day and was paid by the government. There used to be 14-15 of us there but 7 of us including myself hav just left so the numbers will be half of what they used to be.

If you are considering which school you want to put your child in, choose Swinton Community School. They also have an Eco project going on (we recently won solar panels for the school, we beat 6000 other schools nationwide and everyone who was involved was autistic including myself) and there is also an allotment where the add pupils will plant, grow and eat the vegetables, they have also recently put in chickens.

There is a new head teacher called mr. pridding who has been very kind and helpful. He wants to improve the schools grades and so far he has done a good job.

Hope you find this helpful. I was there for 4 years so I proberbly have the best idea of what it will be like.

If you want more info the unit is called the ASD and their direct number is

01709 572059

Hope this helps =)