BBC4 - All in a Day: The City

I watched it yesterday. I thought the elderly bloke who was retiring was great; 50 years with the same firm!

My grandpa worked for Dormer Twist-Drills for fifty one and a half years, man and boy, from the age of 13 to the age of 65 when he retired, in 1976/77.

Was there any commentry around the Sunblest van crash, as I had a problem with the sound on most of the video.

Where did it crash? Was it at the bottom of Heavygate Rd?

No.s 2-4 Bole Hill Road, at the bottom of Heavygate Road. You can see how the wall was rebuilt, and there is now a sacrificial road barrier to minimise repeat damage, you can just see it in the foreground this this picture.

Edited by jgharston
URL of photo has changed.

The chap retiring is my Uncle Harold Dransfield and my Auntie Cissie. They both died in Sheffield, he in 1990 and she in 1981. They were my Grandads sister and brother-in-law.

I would love to get hold of a video or DVD for my mum. Mum was born in Sheffield and was very close to them but as she doesn't have BBC4 she hasn't seen this documentary since it was first broadcast in 1973/74. She is now in her seventies and would be absolutely thrilled to see it.

I was only 2 when it was made but remember them very well. They had a caravan at Ingoldmells in retirement and we used to go there as kids!!

Please if anyone can help let me know, I would cover any costs.

Thanks

Liz

The chap retiring is my Uncle Harold Dransfield and my Auntie Cissie. They both died in Sheffield, he in 1990 and she in 1981. They were my Grandads sister and brother-in-law.

I would love to get hold of a video or DVD for my mum. Mum was born in Sheffield and was very close to them but as she doesn't have BBC4 she hasn't seen this documentary since it was first broadcast in 1973/74. She is now in her seventies and would be absolutely thrilled to see it.

I was only 2 when it was made but remember them very well. They had a caravan at Ingoldmells in retirement and we used to go there as kids!!

Please if anyone can help let me know, I would cover any costs.

Thanks

Liz

That's brilliant! I bet you were so proud of him! A proper good old fashioned proud man who worked for the same company all those years! I will download it and try and get it put onto DVD for you! :)

One of the best programmes of Sheffield for some time. I have the original recording on DVD ........ have sent you a PM regards a copy.

That's brilliant! I bet you were so proud of him! A proper good old fashioned proud man who worked for the same company all those years! I will download it and try and get it put onto DVD for you! :)

THANKS so much for your help, you've really made my day!!

One of the best programmes of Sheffield for some time. I have the original recording on DVD ........ have sent you a PM regards a copy.

Thanks so much! will go and check out message now! oooh I'm so excited

I think the Sheffield Abattoir was on Cricket Inn Road

yes cricket inn rd ,i drove truck for mcrackens and also worked for Harry cooper as meat porter.i lived on parkhill.

cyril