East One noodle bar - West One

* Where did you go?

I went with my girlfriend to the East One noodle bar in the new West One development, just off West Street.

* When did you go?

Err, about a week and a half ago (end of August).

* First impressions?

Smart looking exterior (it's brand new!). Looking through the windows I noticed that everyone shares long tables, which seemed like a novel idea. Seemed busy too - normally a good sign.

* What did you do there?

Ate noodles

* What were the staff like?

Yeah, they were ok. We were being shown to our table (upstairs) when I bumped in to a friend on the stairs. By the time we had finished chatting she had disappeared. Nevertheless, we went upstairs and found a table (the only two person table I saw!). After that the service was fine, one waitress (or manager?) seemed to have all her kids there - which provided some entertainment as we saw them stealing pawn crackers ;)

* Was it good value for money?

Yes very. I had traditional "dry" noodles, while my girlfriend had noodle soup. Both dishes were huge and cost around £6-7 each.

* Overall impression

Yeah, very good. A nice addition to the Sheffield food scene - there are too many Italian type places in the centre, so this offers a nice break. A hint for any beer drinkers, they do serve pints of beer, but in doesn't seem to be on menu, so ask.

* Would you go back / recommend it to others?

Yes and Yes

Read a thread a while ago, although I can't now find it again, saying how good the noodle bar is (it still is) and how they generally give tap water instead of expensive water. Went there on Saturday for some very nice noodles, but they now have stuck on the menu signs that say only bottled water available. Are restaurants really allowed to not give you tap water?

I thought it was slightly odd.

im sure that by law you have the right to tap water for free, however i do remember a club in sheffield getting around this by calling it a service charge. :(

My understanding is that it is only venues like nightclubs where dancing takes place where they legally obliged to offer free tap water, this legislation I believe was passed to cut down on drug related deaths. However the drinking water does not neccessarily have to be served over the bar - it may be that they install a drinking water fountain in the toilets.

A quick search for 'noodle' found the old thread.

I've now merged them together :)

east one is excellent, fantastic food at brilliant prices

can anyone give me directions to go there? i asked in a few posts, where west street is but no one replied me :(

Here ya go:

East One Noodle Bar

Edit: Removed link to map as it seems it's totally wrong :mad:

I think that they must have the postcode / address wrong on Yell.com as if you look the postcode up on MapQuest.co.uk, it also returns the wrong place.

oooh! thx! i think i know where about it is now, i go look for it tomorrow! :D

West Street is one of the main streets in the city centre and you can always get the tram to the West Street stop if you get really lost. East One is in the West One block of flats, which is directly behind the Barclays Bank on West Street, or alternatively at the end of Division Street (the opposite end to City Hall).

Hope that helps.

Just thought I'd add that I visited East One for the first time last night and it was absolutely fantastic!!! I had #29 (Chaing Mai Noodles - Ramen noodles in spicy red curry & coconut broth, topped with prawns, chicken & bamboo shoot flavoured with lime leaves and juice). I was really dubious about having soup as a main course, but when I saw the size of the bowl I was pleasantly surprised!!!

I'll definitely be going again! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My girlfriend and I go several times a week, the staff have started to recognise us and remember what we order. They're always friendly and really helpful.

They have put out a new menu this week and everything is about £1 more expensive than it was before, but to be honest it's so good in there I don't mind.

I still feel like a spanner asking for a fork though :(