Any opinions/feedback on Gleadless Valley?

there are WAY more than 5% of decent people on GV. my parents have lived there for over 40 years. I know friends who live there who have lived there just as long. and "you'll soon be hounded out" by who..... the mafia. cos really hounded out a bit far fetched. yes it has gone downhill and yes there are scroats but your imagination running away with itself.

you looking down on good people my friend. people who do not deserve you stereotypical views. I stand by what I said. AM PROUD that I grew up on GV. am proud to say that. my parents and friends still live there. I still go there. thats my statement. thats what Im leaving with you. carry on slating the good people. Im out. not going to get in to inflamed argument over it.

Keep the spirits up. In Nazi occupied France, the good people were called The Resistance. With an attitude like yours, you will defeat the majority scum and within a few years, GV will be beautiful again, with brightly coloured butterflys fluttering amongst the happy smiling faces of anew generation of Valleyers. Ha Ha!

Keep the spirits up. In Nazi occupied France, the good people were called The Resistance. With an attitude like yours, you will defeat the majority scum and within a few years, GV will be beautiful again, with brightly coloured butterflys fluttering amongst the happy smiling faces of anew generation of Valleyers. Ha Ha!

Were do you live ? AND THERE IS PLENTY OF SMILING FACES IN THE VALLEY

What a sad, ignorant little post, from someone who has no idea what they're talking about and isn't ashamed to let everyone know it.

I was proud to represent the people if Gleadless Valley for 3 years as their councillor. In my time there I met with decency, kindness, generosity and a community spirit that other parts of the city can only dream about. 100+ people turning up at the Tenants' and Residents' Association meetings, local parents running fundraising fairs for Parent and Toddler groups, a Best Kept Garden competition, Herdings Park Fun Day, care groups at the Methodist Church and a host of other activities run by local people for local people.

I must have been in over 500 homes, including flats and houses. Of those, I think I must have seen 3 or 4 where people hadn't cared for their property. The rest were clean, warm and welcoming. Residents would ring me to get broken glass, rubbish and dog muck cleared up, because they cared about their environment and, I might add, their neighbours. I lost count of the number of people who said to me that their neighbours "looked out for them".

Gleadless Valley is a huge area and the chances of trouble occurring are the same as any other comparable large area in sheffield. Except that, in the Valley, you have a Safer Neighbourhoods Team, a Community Safety Partnership, a Community Forum, a Tenants' and Residents' Association, a Youth Club, a Community Centre and 2 Childrens' Centres. Plus some of the warmest hearted people I have ever met.

It's you who's the loser, Bern. Go out and do something useful in your community. It might get rid of some of your bile.

What a sad, ignorant little post, from someone who has no idea what they're talking about and isn't ashamed to let everyone know it.

I was proud to represent the people if Gleadless Valley for 3 years as their councillor. In my time there I met with decency, kindness, generosity and a community spirit that other parts of the city can only dream about. 100+ people turning up at the Tenants' and Residents' Association meetings, local parents running fundraising fairs for Parent and Toddler groups, a Best Kept Garden competition, Herdings Park Fun Day, care groups at the Methodist Church and a host of other activities run by local people for local people.

I must have been in over 500 homes, including flats and houses. Of those, I think I must have seen 3 or 4 where people hadn't cared for their property. The rest were clean, warm and welcoming. Residents would ring me to get broken glass, rubbish and dog muck cleared up, because they cared about their environment and, I might add, their neighbours. I lost count of the number of people who said to me that their neighbours "looked out for them".

Gleadless Valley is a huge area and the chances of trouble occurring are the same as any other comparable large area in sheffield. Except that, in the Valley, you have a Safer Neighbourhoods Team, a Community Safety Partnership, a Community Forum, a Tenants' and Residents' Association, a Youth Club, a Community Centre and 2 Childrens' Centres. Plus some of the warmest hearted people I have ever met.

It's you who's the loser, Bern. Go out and do something useful in your community. It might get rid of some of your bile.

It's still a hovel. Not like where I live, Lowedges!

It's still a hovel. Not like where I live, Lowedges!

that thud you just heard, was PT falling off her chair with laughter.

LOWEDGES........ OMG now you are a joke give me VALLEY any day

so you calling my parents nasty primitive anti social specimens are you. they decent hardworking (never claimed social or unemployment in their lives) clean people. they look after their home, they clean their house, and their windows. they are polite well mannered all round good people. they brought me and my brother up the same way they are. I have friends on gleadless who are the same too. we were all brought up decent. we born and bred on the valley. these people do NOT make the place a living hell. am outraged that you pinpoint an area and all the people and see them all the same

there are some scum who live in that area, yes, quite a few, but there are also quite a few decent people. dont tar them all with the same brush.

in all areas of sheffield there are nasty scum but with that comes the decent folk who do no harm to no one. take it personally that you are tarring my parents with the same brush as the scum of the earth that also live on gleadless

easy ollie

Firstly, I never said you, yourself, your relatives, myself or anyrone else living here are lowlife specimens, as i said I still live here and all I simply stated that it houses extremely nasty low vermin, the amount of destruction, misery these specimens have caused for decent people is shocking. I could write a book about the amount incidents which have happened just in the last month!

I used to absolutely love Sheffield and found it an extremely warm inviting place, this is until moving to Gleadless Valley of course, I have spent my whole life living in social housing, so I know about the problem specimens which you can come across, but in my experiences and other peoples, i have never come across the degree of nasty lowlife activity which is dominant in many parts of this estate.

I presumed from the original post that he / she is / are decent person / family enquiring about moving here, and I would not wish unhappiness and years of torment on decent people, which is why I strongly advised against it based on my and other peoples experiences i personally know.

I believe the area has huge potential, i love that there's council housing in such a good location surrounded by outstanding woodland, with good amenities, close enough to the city, excellent panoramic views, and loads of brilliant natural green spaces, but unfortunately this is all ruined by nasty primitive simpletons, and therefore unfortuantley it's not worth the hassle moving to Gleadless Valley.

LOWEDGES........ OMG now you are a joke give me VALLEY any day

The posh part of Lowedges. Atlantic. Our druggies have class.

The posh part of Lowedges. Atlantic. Our druggies have class.

At least you have a sense of humour:)

Neither area is good. I used to live at Batemoor some 15 years ago and hated that too, but then the drug dealer below me was a pain, the one in the next block was too and all the syringes/break ins/antisocial behaviour/ car theft etc.

The crime was vile and the area didn't differ to Lowedges where my work colleagues/friends lived. I was pleased to escape that too.

Apart from 3 years in North Wales i have lived in Gleadless all my life and am only 28 so i suppose i can have a viewpoint for the young uns which cause the so called hassle round here.

I know it may seem like an excuse but the area on the whole is took for granted, i even tried to start a football project round here but the council never stuck to there word when it came to funding it.

The kids round here are spot on (on the whole) there is always going to to be some youth being a bit of **** but thats life today some people need to get real that we dont live in the perfect world they would like to think exists.

Instead of being on about all the crap what the young uns are supposed to be up to, why don't people mention the lack of shops on Gleadless, or the lack of play areas for the kids, what about the buses that come when they want, what about pitch black Newfield Green, when is the gaunt gonna get done up, why is there big massive spaces with nothing built on it but yet theres shed loads of offices to let in town, maybe peeps should look at the bigger picture before blaming an estate.

GLEADLESS TILL WE DIE!!!!!!!!

We used to live on the Sand Close/Flury Road area and never again. Cars broken into, stolen, neighbour playing loud music all hours, shouting at kids, kids badly bahaved etc

I'm sure that could be any area though, not just GV but we'd never live there again

I feel sorry for the decent folks on GV, and there are plenty of them. There are also a significant number of numpties, and you just cannot get away from that.

However, one cannot escape the overwhelming negative image that the place has, and it has a dubious reputation for a reason. It's crime figures would make Ronnie Biggs blush...:rolleyes:

My own, very humble opinion, would be for the OP to find somewhere else to live. People may feel free to agree or disagree as they wish, but that's my opinion, and it's as valid as anyone elses...:)