Any opinions/feedback on Gleadless Valley?

Dump...........

no its not,like all areas it has its bad bits

the area around the bankwood school is fine,i know the area very well,the worst bits are overend gaunt and parts of plowright :thumbsup:

Overend is not bad at all i have family and friends who live on there and they are happy there.

Overend is not bad at all i have family and friends who live on there and they are happy there.

not the bloke who kidnapped his kids and shot his sen then? or perhaps the drug dealers that where on tv the other night..lovley area :)

no its not,like all areas it has its bad bits

I agree!:hihi:

I agree!:hihi:

no its not,ive worked on there for 20 years and i'd say its 90% good people

It must be the huge dump-it site that acts like a sort of human (?) magnet. They find it very attractive.

not the bloke who kidnapped his kids and shot his sen then? or perhaps the drug dealers that where on tv the other night..lovley area :)

I think you better get your facts right, the bloke didnt kidnapp his kids at all, as for drug dealers all areas have them not just overend.

I've lived here for 6 years. The bit you're looking at, near Bankwood School, is ok.

Overend is also ok, despite what happened earlier this year! Drive down any night of the week, its dead quiet (pun not intended).

The worst bits, in my experience, are near the John o Gaunt, Sands Close area, Fleury/Springs Close/ anywhere behind the old Far Lees pub. This is only my opinion, mind!

Most of the people who come on here slagging it off have no idea where it is, and have never lived or visited here. And have you noticed they never disclose where THEY live? Funny that.....

Edited by gabby

no its not,ive worked on there for 20 years and i'd say its 90% good people

Ill refer you to zebra's post about crime rate, it is undoubtebly a shockingly bad area i have lived there (not for long thank god) its smack, crack, and chav city!

To the op i would rather stick something sharp in my eye than pay my hard earned money in to property in that area!

But i do not doubt there are some very lovely people who live there i actually no 1 or 2.

Ill refer you to zebra's post about crime rate, it is undoubtebly a shockingly bad area i have lived there (not for long thank god) its smack, crack, and chav city!

To the op i would rather stick something sharp in my eye than pay my hard earned money in to property in that area!

But i do not doubt there are some very lovely people who live there i actually no 1 or 2.

What area of gleadless did you live? because i know gleadless and yes there is chavs about but i have never know it be a "smack and crack city"

It was suggested that I point out that in 2007 there were 117 recorded crimes on the road we lived on.

On Blackstock Road in 2008 there were nearly 900 recorded crimes.

In contrast, there have been 2 crimes recorded on the road I live on now. One a fail to stop collision with a vehicle and one a theft of copper whilst the houses were being built.

Another thing I'd noticed, mostly from the previous GV threads is that most people who defend the area tend to be the ones who live there. Now there are always exceptions, I know Gabby for example lives in a quiet area which by all accounts sounds perfectly reasonable. For the particular part I lived in, I felt embarrassed by saying we had been foolish enough to buy a house in the area and I would say things like 'It's not as bad as it looks/sounds/seems etc' until the overwhelming evidence stacked up and made me look stupid for saying it.

Then there's the filter of experience. If you are entirely accustomed to neighbourhoods of crime then GV will seem normal. When I lived in Lowfields I was victim to one attempted burglary and one successful burglary of my shed. I lived there for almost 7 years.

I also forgot to mention that one of our neighbours was also a drug dealer in GV and would openly deal whilst he could see us in our lounge window. He also used to hide stolen goods in the bushes at the side of our house. Charming chap, we really miss him.

did 2.5 years on gv 8 years ago. wouldn't go back there for a pension.

seemed nice to start with, but sooner or later you'll find you just have to put up with a load of crap. If you don't put up with it, you'll be attacked.

police and council both useless and any way get no support from locals.

don't do it unless you like that sort of place.