Any opinions/feedback on Gleadless Valley?

I'm looking at a property near Bankwood School at the moment. I've had a drive round the area at nigh and in the day and it seems a very quiet and family oriented little enclave. Anyone who knows the area well and could give me up to date advice / feedback (the existing threads on Gleadlass Valley are several years old!) on the area would be much appreciated :)

It's not too bad round here. I've lived in the area for four and a half years without a problem.

It's not the greatest area in the world, but it's far from the worst. We've had a bad reputation for crime round here aswell, but it's mostly fly tipping from people that can't be bothered to wait in the queue for the Blackstock Rd dumpit site.

We lived in the area for 2 years and finally escaped 1 year ago. Escaped being the operative word.

We had two cars written off due to one being set on fire and the other having the door folded back to enter. Several other amounts of minor damage like the badges being stolen and scratches.

We had our fence set fire to for fun. Our garage door was vandalised. We had kids sitting on the wall outside the house most evenings causing havoc, playing music, drinking and breaking the resultant bottles. Anti-social behaviour of one form or another was pretty much a daily occurance. Even the trees suffered as the kids hacked them up.

In the surrounding woodland there were more fires than I could keep count of, the fire engines were a regular visitor. There was a rape at the bottom of the road. A stabbing at one of the local pubs. A bus was bricked on the way past one day. All the bus stops are in a constant state of repair as the glass is broken almost instantly as it is replaced. I also witnessed multiple car fires other than ours. Bins were regularly set alight.

There were no end of situations with motorbikes, on the pavements, roads, grassy areas etc - which is the only issue we've suffered (even then barely) at our new haven. At GV it was daily and sometimes came awfully close to hitting us as we walked from car to house and vice versa, that was with our toddlers too.

The local post office has been victim of crime and the local Co-op is perpetually plagued by graffiti.

So, my advice is avoid having to escape as we did and don't go there in the first place.

There's a map somewhere, I forget where, of the crime across the city, GV is entirely covered in one huge red blob as the crime levels overlap so much you can't separate them.

It's worth reading the area demographic too.

Though I recognise that some isolated parts of the area are quieter and suffer less crime, violence, antisocial behaviour, arson etc it is honest to say that the area in general is a nightmare. I would imagine the time until every street suffers will be short. Though some people who live in the area are very pleasant, there are many who are dreadful and you wouldn't even trust them with your first name.

Our neighbours commented that the area had gone downhill enormously in recent years and some were desperate to move too. Those who seemed willing to stay were the parents of the trouble causing kids. It was voted worst area of Sheffield in 2008 for a reason.

Incidentally, we moved from Lowfield (HB Rd) to GV in 2005 and I wish the house we had been in had been big enough for the pending birth so we never went to GV. It got us the housing ladder but we had the devils own work selling the place.

Edited by Zebra

I have lived in GV for almost 5 years. The first two years I was terroised by youths who wanted to make my life as difficult and unpleasant as possible. I was constantly miserable and scared to go out.

Nowadays I don't experience any of that personally, in fact quite often the opposite from some people who are warm and friendly.

It's true incidences do happen pretty regularly. For example in the last 2 to 3 months there have been 2 cars torched very very near to me. I am told there are drug dealers nearby but I've never seen any dealing activity. I've learnt to keep myself to myself and just be pleasant and quiet. Aswell as taking sensible anti theft precautions.

Like others say it's not the best nor the worst area. If I had a choice to live here or not, would I? Unlikely I would choose to live here if I had a bucket ful of money - but who would?

In many ways it's how you choose to live it and how you choose to think about it that counts. If I'm feeling down about it I always remember I can see a tree from every window. But if I were consistantly exp what Zebra talks about I would feel differently, I'm sure.

In the end, like most people who live here, this is home. I'm always pleased to come home here, lock my door and put my feet up in front of the fire.

see gleadless is not great, but sign of times tells us that this area is just like other areas. lived there most of my life, and although moved to derbyshire now, still has place in my heart. Bankwood quite nice. lot of the houses bought privately. beware that there will be at times lots of noise and traffic due to the school, and try not to be too close to the woods.

drugs are all around and youths turning in to thugs seems to be quite popular. but there are some good people around that estate. is not all doom and gloom. have family and friends in gleadless still and I have never felt threatened there, always felt safe, while at home, when i lived there, or walking along the streets to shops or whatever.

whatever you decide good luck in your new home, be it gleadless or elsewhere.

I'm looking at a property near Bankwood School at the moment. I've had a drive round the area at nigh and in the day and it seems a very quiet and family oriented little enclave. Anyone who knows the area well and could give me up to date advice / feedback (the existing threads on Gleadlass Valley are several years old!) on the area would be much appreciated :)

I live just around the corner from the school and its quiet around here, i would deffo recommend the area, tho the school, well thats another matter!!

I've lived up here for 15 years this year, I overlook the school and the fields/woods, etc., and have experienced no real trouble or aggravation either to me personally or my property - we had our car windows done last year but that could happen anywhere.

It's right up there with Burngreave in status.

Dump...........

I have family that live on gleadless and they dont have any problem at all where they are. Yes there is the odd bits of vandalism and other things happen but that happens everywhere. I moved of the estate about 3 years ago and if i had the chance i would move back.

the area around the bankwood school is fine,i know the area very well,the worst bits are overend gaunt and parts of plowright :thumbsup: