William greens of Ecclesfield

If anyone knew Eric Gregory who worked at Green's, I am sorry to tell you he died two weeks ago. His wife Betty died two months ago. I went to both funerals. A sad loss.

Thanks for that news nigel ,i knew eric well. He was a good freind of my mothers, i'm not sure but i think they were at school toghether. Erics brother arthur was the electrician at greens when i worked there. as you say nigel, A sad loss.

Hi does any one on here remember making these ? Has the date '1958' on the front. Still going strong on our kitchens at the Horns Inn near Goosnargh, Preston ?

Hi does any one on here remember making these ? Has the date '1958' on the front. Still going strong on our kitchens at the Horns Inn near Goosnargh, Preston ?

Take a look at previous postings. W. Greens were around for a long time, they made lots of little stoves which the pioneers in the USA used in their Conescoga waggons. My father worked all his life at Greens, he went to London as the firms fitting & maintenance engineer, father had to retire in 65, Greens were still around then.

Wrong Ernest, my Dad worked all his life at Greens, Dad moved to London in the early 50's to be Greens maintenance & fitting engineer. My Dad died in 1968. I doubt that anyone other than,Athol Higgins, that knew Dad is still alive
i havnt seen athol for a couple of years, as far as im aware he's still living in ecclesfield & attending church regularly, proper gentleman. next time i go to my parents i'll nip round & see how he is

I worked for Moorwood Vulcan when the Greens engineers joined us, Tony Miller and Ken Lichfield.I was in all of the pension schemes Brightside,Newhome Veritas, etc right up to Valor.I worked in London but I liked going to Sheffield. Mr Colin Wood was manager then Mrs Morris. Bill Shirt took me to all the pubs and sights, Shiney Sheff etc.

Happy days.

I remember the Higgins brothers, there were 3 of them including twins they all wore flat caps and lived on same road as me - they lived at No. 10 next to Leigh family - I still live in same house I grew up in but there's only Jones family left from those days and me of course:hihi::hihi:

I worked for Moorwood Vulcan when the Greens engineers joined us, Tony Miller and Ken Lichfield.I was in all of the pension schemes Brightside,Newhome Veritas, etc right up to Valor.I worked in London but I liked going to Sheffield. Mr Colin Wood was manager then Mrs Morris. Bill Shirt took me to all the pubs and sights, Shiney Sheff etc.

Happy days.

Tony was my young brother, he died in 1995.

I remember the Higgins brothers, there were 3 of them including twins they all wore flat caps and lived on same road as me - they lived at No. 10 next to Leigh family - I still live in same house I grew up in but there's only Jones family left from those days and me of course:hihi::hihi:

Athol & Doug (merchant navy) were friends of my Dad. In 47/8 my Dad had a job to do in London, Doug. was going back to his ship (a Liberty Ship). It was decided I would go with them. I spent the night on Doug's ship, convincing me that I wanted to go to sea.

Tony was my young brother, he died in 1995.

Hellon Janner, I was shocked and very sorry to read that Tony Miller had died. He always seemed fit and well, I worked with him on ships etc on Heatflow ranges. Did he have an illness or an accident. The last I heard was that he worked for TACK ?

johnjc

Johnjc, Tony died of a Aortic Aneurysm he was 56 yrs old. As you know Tony was 6ft 4 ins, the doctor said tall people are prone to having thin artery walls, a slight blockage in a person of normal size would cause pain but the patient would probably last long enough for surgery. Tony & family moved to Wales, at the time of his death he was working for himself. It seems he was out on a job, but not driving, when his aortic artery walls burst thus reducing his chance of survival. I hope that answers your question & thank you for the contact.

Hello Janner, That is bad news about Tony, not nice way to go. I think his wifes name was Doreen, what a shock for her and the children. I did not know that he was self employed.

I was self employed, made redundant from M.V. I went to TACK for two months then started up on my own. Tony said that Mrs Morris knew him as a lad. When I worked with Tony I knew that we would have a laugh , he had a good sense of humor. I have many anecdotes about Tony I expect that you would remember some of them.

Best wishes johjc

is barry smith still around

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 14:06 ----------

i worked at Green's Foundry from the late 1940's until approx 1954, is there anyone around that would have worked there also.:)