William greens of Ecclesfield

My Dad Ernest Miller spent his whole working life at Wm. Greens, his pay number was 9. During the war he was exempt from the forces because the work they were doing was necessary for the war effort. Dad spent a lot of time in the NE shipyards fitting galley equipment into new ships.

I was a moulder in the foundry 1970 to 72 then went to Osborn Steels for better money as the old foundry was 'on its uppers' by then. I remember Peter Hearst, Lol Foster, Alan Foster, the Higgins bro's, Freddy Ridge, Tommy Parkinson, Malcolm Myers, Pete Moore, the Bretts, father and sons and a load more who I will remember as soon as I have posted this. I seem to remember Ike Baxter being a gaffer in the pattern shop. I went to Greens from Thorncliffe foundry. We made a lot of castings for Woodhall Duckhams, the coke oven manufacturer and the writing was already on the wall for the coal industry as far back as 1972. I remember Ernest Casson, Tommy Smith and Len Shaw who took over as manager when Tommy Parkinson retired. A true gentleman was Tommy Parkinson, one of lifes 'nice guys'.

Nimrod, the Higgins brothers were friends of my father & mother, I have a photo of them all in the Lane Top WMC. D oug was in the Merchant Navy in those days I spent a night onboard his ship in London docks, must have been about 1948.

My Dad Ernest Miller spent his whole working life at Wm. Greens, his pay number was 9. During the war he was exempt from the forces because the work they were doing was necessary for the war effort. Dad spent a lot of time in the NE shipyards fitting galley equipment into new ships.

I remember one of the welders who went by the name of "little ern". he would have been about 5ft.6 and lived in grenoside in the mid 70,s, and drank in ecclesfield w.m.c. does this sound like your dad janner?

Bernard Stringer lived in Ecclesfield and was a file cutter at Greens, he retired in the 60's

Bernard Stringer lived in Ecclesfield and was a file cutter at Greens, he retired in the 60's

His son still lives in the village.

Yes I know Graham and his 3 sons - Nigel,Paul & Richard.

Yes I know Graham and his 3 sons - Nigel,Paul & Richard.

At one time, Bernard and his wife lived in High Street. The house at the entrance to Singleton's used to be two. Stringers occupied number 52. Graham is the image of his Dad.

I remember one of the welders who went by the name of "little ern". he would have been about 5ft.6 and lived in grenoside in the mid 70,s, and drank in ecclesfield w.m.c. does this sound like your dad janner?

Wrong Ernest, my Dad worked all his life at Greens, Dad moved to London in the early 50's to be Greens maintenance & fitting engineer. My Dad died in 1968. I doubt that anyone other than,Athol Higgins, that knew Dad is still alive

At one time, Bernard and his wife lived in High Street. The house at the entrance to Singleton's used to be two. Stringers occupied number 52. Graham is the image of his Dad.

Hey Nigel,2 of his sons are the image of Graham and Richard the younger one is getting there.

My dad was Frank Smith,worked at greens most of his life,he was in the foundry,and was also a bookies runner

Edited by Barry Smith

If anyone knew Eric Gregory who worked at Green's, I am sorry to tell you he died two weeks ago. His wife Betty died two months ago. I went to both funerals. A sad loss.