Old Cigarette Makes

John Player was walking down the road, when he spotted Peter Styvesant crying his eyes out.

“What’s up with thee then?” said John

“Kensitas” Replied Peter.

Sorry that was a school day joke (All get mi coyt) :gag:

Anyone remember in the 70`s the NSM (new smoking material ) cigarettes which were supposed to be more healthy i tried some i think they were Embassy they carn`t have been that good because they didn`t last for that long.

I well remember these N.S.M. cigarettes being launched - as far as I remember the whole project was a compete flop. When the new cigarettes were put on sale, various medical experts were quoted in the press as saying they didn't think that the cellulose-based material was less harmful than tobacco, but some time earlier, when this photo had appeared in the press, it didn't do the project any good. It was smuggled out of a research facility and it shows beagles being forced to "smoke" cigarettes made with the new material for a lengthy period before being killed.

Edited by hillsbro

I remember the Park Drive sold in 5's. They were handy for school kids to buy with their dinner money!

During the late fifties/early sixties as children we used to buy Park Drive in ones and twos from the corner shop on Grammar St. Many smokers' fingers at that time used to be brown/black with nicotene stains.

There were cigarettes with a dartboard & three darts in the bullseye on the packet, can't recall the name but was probably Darts.

Du Maurier, in the flat red pack - http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1038/1354460131_7770029781.jpg?v=0 Also "R.N." which were only issued to sailors in the Royal Navy - http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/CIG031%20RN.htm
RNs were only issued to shore crew in the service in UK. You were allowed a carton of 200 a month, and they were duty free, or you could opt for a pound of tobacco and roll your own. Men aboard ship were allowed 400 of brand cigarettes, and if you wanted Raleigh American cigs, you could have as many as you wanted. Non smokers made a fortune selling their allowance at a premium. The Army and RAF in Britain complained they didn't have DF priveleges too. But we didn't care.

I was just clearing out some junk and I came across some old fag packets. Park Drive, Woodbine, Players No. 6, Rothmans, Consulate and even the Spanish Celtas. There are many more brands from the 60's/70's just rememberd on called Corsair.

There is 1 brand that was cool in the 60's one of the first King size in a foil packet I just can not rememember the name.

Also I came across Brook Bond cards that you used to get in the old quarter pound Tea Boxes, what memories.

This may be a strange request, but I would like those who remember the names of the cigarettes of the past

i dont smoke but can remember working in a restaurant and picking up packets called MORE they were like choccy cigs

i dont smoke but can remember working in a restaurant and picking up packets called MORE they were like choccy cigs

Hi Jewells29, I used to collect fag packets when I was a lad, one or two that stand out are: PASHA, 35s, Du morias, STAR, are the ones I can remember.

We used to go for a ride on the outer circle bus(3) to have a look upstairs for any new finds, unfortunately later on I started smoking them!

3 Woodbine fags and 3 matches in a flimsy paper sleeve.My father used to have certain technique in smoking. once he'd lit it, it remained in the corner of his mouth for the duration of the smoke. When the ash reached about 2" long, with a long practised skill he blew it sideways, usually in my face and away from his suit. Never heard about passive smoking then!.

Edited by JOGI