Fred Naggs

Can anyone remember Fred Naggs? what was it? , its doing my head in.

I used to live in Sheffield many years ago.

As a child, in the early fifties, I lived in the Pitsmoor district. On Burgreave Road, in one of those big old house, there was a photographer called Fred Naggs or maybe Knaggs. He had a studio on the ground floor of the house. My parents were friends of theirs. They had a daughter named Freda whom I played with.

Can anyone remember Fred Naggs? what was it? , its doing my head in.

it was a car spares shop

You're right Hazelmay, just around the corner from the Vestry Hall, on the right. He had like a glass case in the front with examples of his work. Wouldn't last a couple of seconds nowadays.

You're right Hazelmay, just around the corner from the Vestry Hall, on the right. He had like a glass case in the front with examples of his work. Wouldn't last a couple of seconds nowadays.

it was a car spares he had a son called david an a daughters susan

I can confirm that fred knaggs was a photographers on burngreave road.

In 1961 i started with the gpo and we were sent there for our identity photos.

I think snagglepuss is thinking of 'fred hartleys' which was a chain of car spares shops.

I think snagglepuss is thinking of 'fred hartleys' which was a chain of car spares shops.

Fred Knaggs was a photographer, but also ran a car spares shop on the same premises by the time it closed. My sister had a photo taken by him in the late fifties/early sixties and I bought a battery charger from him years later possibly in the seventies. We used to live on Grimesthorpe road just round the corner

Yep, Fred Knaggs was definetely a photographer, I have old family photos taken at his studio.

Thanks,can remember now, I went with my dad there for a part for our Humber Sceptre ,must have been around 1970 ish :thumbsup:

Practically all our 'official' family photos were taken by Fred Knaggs. He appears to have been a very good photographer (can't say I remember him as I was only a small child whenever he took our photos). Having said that, I remember him trying to get me to smile when he took a photo of my brothers and sister and myself. He failed!

Edited by TeachersPet
No longer applies

Actually, the name 'Fred Naggs', was a by-word around Pitsmoor. He was like the only game in town if you wanted some shots taken, at a wedding or any kind of function. I remember, when I was about thirteen or fourteen, I had a bull-terrier name of 'Tiger'. I took him down to Fred Naggs, me and him, boy and his dog. 'Tiger' didn't dig the scene at all. Mr Naggs wanted me to sit Tiger on a wooden chair and me to stand beside him. Old 'Tige' had other ideas. The resulting photograph included a blurred arm and hand and a lopsided 'Tiger'. I wish I had that photograph now though.