Sheffield Water: Soap and things

Having recently moved back to Sheff, from 'the south', the soft water and soap thing is intriguing.

Apparently soap/detergents need to be calcium enriched to 'work'/rinse in soft water areas, but I can't see any products advertised, and I'm certainly not going to try them all. Thinking about boycotting all such things, that'll show 'em :-)

Any experience of soaps/shampoos etc that work especially well?

Thanks!

Don't know anything about calcium in soaps etc, but I haven't used anything that doesn't work well in all my 40+ years as a Sheffield native.

Most washing powder manufacturers suggest you need to use less powder in soft water areas so Im a little confused. Soft water will allow the soap powder to lather better and I've not really had any problem with anything before. My parents live in a very hard water area and I do notice that things don't lather as well there (and you get a nasty scum on your tea too).

That's just a bitter southerner trying to convince you the water down there is better. They are wrong!! :)

Don't know anything about calcium in soaps etc, but I haven't used anything that doesn't work well in all my 40+ years as a Sheffield native.

Everything works - it's just it doesn't lather or rinse as well. Had to throw shaving gel away for example.

That's just a bitter southerner trying to convince you the water down there is better. They are wrong!! :)

Oh no! London water tastes/smells of bleach, disgusting. I actually moved back for the beer :-)

this is such a boring thread! lol

Just warming up :-)

I haven't noticed a problem but then I grew up in another soft water area Glasgow. I know when I go down to London I use a lot more shampoo. My brother spends a fortune descaling the kettle and the drinking water down there is not drinkable. No wonder Londoners but bottled water and water filters.

The only problem i have is when i use soaps which are designed not to lather but ususaly no problem especially with soap powders

All I can say is that you get a proper bubble bath. Suds stay for ages, really worthwhile not like when I lived in London. Best of all the shower holes stay clear. There really was nothing worse than unplugging the shower head with a pin.