"Runtime packed fsg" - error?

AVG resident shield has started showing that a certain file carries a "runtime packed fsg" threat, with the only options being 'add to exceptions' or 'ignore'.

Clicking the 'more info about this threat' brings nothing up.

The file/program is question has been installed for well over a year, and (to my knowledge) caused no hassle before, so.....?

A search for the "virus" has brought nothing of any consequence to light - anybody any the wiser?

FSG packing is a method of compressing data and executables and is of itself fairly harmless, the problem is a lot of malware uses it to hide the payload from scanners

please don't ask me what FSG stands for though as I've no idea, I can't find any published algorithms for it on the net either

if you are 100% sure this program is ok then add it to the exceptions, try comparing it to the one on the installation media to make sure

FSG packing is a method of compressing data and executables and is of itself fairly harmless, the problem is a lot of malware uses it to hide the payload from scanners

please don't ask me what FSG stands for though as I've no idea, I can't find any published algorithms for it on the net either

if you are 100% sure this program is ok then add it to the exceptions, try comparing it to the one on the installation media to make sure

I think I've figured out the "F"!

erm "File" perhaps ?

Hi,

If your computer security software alerts you to a Runtime Packed FSG program, you may be wondering, “What is a runtime packed FSG?” or “Does this mean I have a computer virus? Runtime Packed FSG was created to compress certain applications into smaller sizes. In fact, FSG stands for "Fast Small Good." It is not the same as a runtime error and it will not damage your computer.

You may have seen Runtime Packed FSG in your anti-virus software and you might be wondering why it's there. Why is your anti-virus software scanning for something that isn't harmful? The reason is because many virus creators use Runtime Packed FSG when packaging their viruses to be distributed. It makes them smaller and harder for anti-virus software to detect. :)