Fire legislation for hair salon

help. anyone got any info on fire legistation in a hair salon. had a company on phone today telling me its gona cost 650 pounds for someone to come and sort me this out and that its a legal requirement. is this true or am i having the wool pulled over my eyes. i have fire extinguisher which was tested just last month, two fire exits and signs etc:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i would of thought the best place was your local fire service, might be worth calling them . :)

yep.. call you local fire service.. they should do it for free for you. ;0)

Are you talking about an assessment?

I had the same the other day. I spoke to someone about this and was advised to contact HSE (health and safety exec). Personally I thought it was a scam.

Fire legislation within England and Wales is dealt with under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. That order effectively took the responsibility for fire safety within individula business premises away from the Fire Service/Fire Officer and placed it firmly in the hands of the "responsible person" within individual businesses.

As a shop owner and the owner of a business, you have a legal obligation to comply with the Order. In simple terms this means you conducting a fire risk assessment of the areas you are "responsible" for. That may be your shop, outside store etc. That risk assessment should then be included in the overall risk assessment that the landlord is required to produce if your shop is one of many within a shopping centre, or for example a row of shops below flats.

For advice on completing the risk assessment, the H&S offer a number of free leaflets. You should also consult your insurance company as they may require you to have a specific standard of protection ie P1 or L1 this will become obvious as you read the Order. For a small salon, if you can read and are prepared to spend an 30 minutes looking at your work environment, it should be fairly easy to understand what you require. Look at the act, read your free leaflets from the H&S Exec and find a BAFE registered fire company if you want a fire system to ensure it is designed, installed and maintained within the law, otherwise you will waste all your time and money.

Fire legislation within England and Wales is dealt with under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. That order effectively took the responsibility for fire safety within individula business premises away from the Fire Service/Fire Officer and placed it firmly in the hands of the "responsible person" within individual businesses.

As a shop owner and the owner of a business, you have a legal obligation to comply with the Order. In simple terms this means you conducting a fire risk assessment of the areas you are "responsible" for. That may be your shop, outside store etc. That risk assessment should then be included in the overall risk assessment that the landlord is required to produce if your shop is one of many within a shopping centre, or for example a row of shops below flats.

For advice on completing the risk assessment, the H&S offer a number of free leaflets. You should also consult your insurance company as they may require you to have a specific standard of protection ie P1 or L1 this will become obvious as you read the Order. For a small salon, if you can read and are prepared to spend an 30 minutes looking at your work environment, it should be fairly easy to understand what you require. Look at the act, read your free leaflets from the H&S Exec and find a BAFE registered fire company if you want a fire system to ensure it is designed, installed and maintained within the law, otherwise you will waste all your time and money.

shame you spoilt it with the last paragraph.

Foxydon

They are probably talking about a Fire Risk Assessment. If you go on to South Yorkshire fire service web site there is a blank version of it and notes to help you fill it in. Dont be conned by people on the phone. If you ring the fire service they will gladly explain to you what you need to do. Hope this helps

Hi...,

I had given a information regarding fire legistation in a hair salon. Hope it may use full to you.

I think you are running hairdressing and beauty salons, there are a number of risks you should be aware of; health and safety risks for example can be minimized with good planning and management of your salon; business risks from fire and burglary can be reduced if you take simple precautionary steps. There are free Expert Guide provides a checklist of the main business risks for hairdressers and beauticians, and will help you build a successful business on a firm foundation.

Fire Risk Management guide covers the five main business risks for beauticians, hairdressers and salon owners:

* Protecting your property from fire - steps you can take to protect your business from arson, and how to prevent fires caused by electrical fault, smoking and poor storage of flammable materials.

* Protecting your property from natural hazards - covering typical salon risks including flood, water escape and storm damage.

* Protecting your property from crime - how to minimize your risk of burglary and theft of money, and how to protect your valuable stock and fittings

* Protecting your staff and visitors from accidents - beauty salon and hairdressing health and safety is particularly important for staff and customers, given the potential for wet floors and electrical appliances operating in a wet environment. Another prevalent hairdressing health and safety risk is work-related dermatitis - also covered here.

* Legislation that may affect your business - Employers' Liablity Regulations 1998, Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 are all areas you need to be familiar with.

shame you spoilt it with the last paragraph.

What do you mean? It seems to make perfect sense to me.