Great lead guitarists - who's the Daddy?

Originally posted by miniminch

an apology is too obvious

Only because it's what you should do :P;)

an apology is too obvious

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

StarSparkle

It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them. ~P.G. Wodehouse, The Man Upstairs

up your collective jumpers!

hate to dissapoint you all

but steve vai is the number one guitarist.....its not even up for debate or arguement.

he is always no.1 on any kind of vote. any other guitarist who is good picks vai as the best. the guy can do things others can only dream about.

also...joe satriani, eddie van halen, jimi hendrix, jimmy page, michael angelo, john petrucci, yngwie malmsteen

It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them. ~P.G. Wodehouse, The Man Upstairs

Sort of like, love means never having to say you're sorry, that kind of thing? All sounds a bit hippyish to me

StarSparkle

Originally posted by StarSparkle

Sort of like, love means never having to say you're sorry, that kind of thing? All sounds a bit hippyish to me

StarSparkle

I didn't know you were a 'love' expert - starsparkle? And, if i may add, a little off topic!

Johnny Marr - without a shadow - and he did it without guitar solos - he was a genius

I didn't know you were a 'love' expert - starsparkle? And, if i may add, a little off topic!

I don't believe I said I said anything of the sort, Miniminch. You're obviously juggling too many plates today.

Now Johnny Marr - fantastic guitarist, you got that right. Hey, that's the first thing we've agreed on in ages! Wow! :o

StarSparkle

Rory Gallagher is in my top five ;)

Rory Gallagher was great live (I was lucky enough to see him). Not so good on disc though - and I think he had a narrower repertoire of riffs than Jimmy Page.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Clapton in his Yardbirds/Cream days.

I think that had he died young like Hendrix, we would be putting him in the pantheon of the greatest.

Robert Fripp is far more inventive, original and accomplished than Page, the late Hendrix etc. Nowhere near as successful, I will admit, but a true original. His range is much wider too, from 'hard', assaultative rock with King Crimson to ambient minimalism with Brian Eno.

John McLaughlin is even better than Fripp, but I don't think much of his output can be classed as rock. His work with Mahavishnu Orchestra in the 70s was a kind of jazz/rock fusion, with strange time signatures, astonishingly fast, long melodic lines etc. Can it be included?

Neil Young's one finger solos are not technically accomplished affairs, but they are full of great passion, and [especially 'Cortez the Killer' from the 'Zuma' album] extremely affecting. He is a truly great guitarist too, and his feedback frenzies inspired a generation of Grunge merchants.

That's a fair assessment, if 'assessment' is the word, of Rory Gallagher. I too have seen him (at the Manchester Apollo in about 1982). Not a great songwriter and yes, at his best live. He was a fantastic 'authentic' acoustic player and could do ragtime, bottleneck etc just like the old-timers. He was a much better acoustic player than Jimmy Page (and anyone else of the 'rock' ilk). JP ripped most of his acoustic stuff off Bert Jansch - to great effect, admittedly!

Yes, Robert Fripp is a great, original guitarist - good call timo! John McWhatshisname is a bit too 'virtuoso' for me, however and has never made it onto the Snooty wind-up (see 'sonic contact sport').