Why do my programmes stop when laptop is not in hibernate mode

Hi

I've set my new laptop to not go into sleep mode as i thought that this would solve the problem of it shutting down programmes overnight. I've also set it so that it's irrelevant if the laptop is open or closed. (The laptop doesn't shutdown or anything overnight but programmes such as a torrent stops)

If, for example i leave a torrent running overnight, when i check it in the morning the programme has stopped and no further progress on a download has been made.

Why is this and how do i resolve?

Just to add that i've had a desktop PC for the last two years with same internet (Sky) and i can just leave that for as long as i want and the torrent will keep downloading until i physically tuen the PC off.

thanks in advance

laptops arent intended to run permanently

there will be a setting somewhere for it to switch itself down or itll just be getting too hot and shutting down to protect itself

Does the torrent program have a schedule manager on it that stops it at specific times?

Have you tried turning off all the power saving features when the laptop is plugged in?

Sky broadband? ADSL presumably?

I'd guess that your connection is being interrupted. If the laptop is still on (which it sounds like it is) then no progress on a download would be down to a failed network connection somewhere (either wifi if you have it or the adsl modem disconnecting).

Thanks for replies

yes Sky BB - it is exactly the same connection as my desktop, same room, same connections/leads etc - the only difference is that i'm now using my laptop.

i'm using the ADSL rather than wireless (as per my desktop) I've checked the torrent programme (BitLord) and there's nothing that offers the option to auto stop etc....(schedule manager then)

i'm not actually sure how to set up the wireless - it seems less secure so never been bothered about using it.

I think it's fairly safe to say that it's not down to it being a laptop per se.

Power saving features don't stop programs from running, and if the hibernate isn't sleeping or hibernating (which you imply it isn't) then it's either a bitlord setting or a network issue.

If you leave another program running overnight, I assume that it's still running when you come back in the morning?

by the way it's not just the Torrent, it's also things like burning discs - there's no progress on burning a disk if i leave overnight

I think it's fairly safe to say that it's not down to it being a laptop per se.

Power saving features don't stop programs from running, and if the hibernate isn't sleeping or hibernating (which you imply it isn't) then it's either a bitlord setting or a network issue.

If you leave another program running overnight, I assume that it's still running when you come back in the morning?

see above comment - also things like facebook, if i leave lptop on overnight i look at my facebook page it hasn't updated when i view it in the morning

But it is still running...

I'm puzzled about burning a disc. Does it work if you sit there and watch it, does it work during the day?

Is the screen set to go off after a period of time, disable that if it is as when the screen is off the laptop could be asleep and you won't know. Confirm that you've disabled the sleep function, it's quicker to recover from that than from hibernate and if everything stops progressing then it sounds like it may be sleeping.

But it is still running...

I'm puzzled about burning a disc. Does it work if you sit there and watch it, does it work during the day?

Is the screen set to go off after a period of time, disable that if it is as when the screen is off the laptop could be asleep and you won't know. Confirm that you've disabled the sleep function, it's quicker to recover from that than from hibernate and if everything stops progressing then it sounds like it may be sleeping.

i guess the laptop will 'turn off' after a couple of hours or so - i haven't left it without flipping up the screen at least once ever hour (only had laptop 3 days) - only time i've left it is at night when i go bed

ok, i've now set the laptop to never sleep and never to turn the display off - hopefully that will fix things.

Cheers cyclone as helpful as ever (haven't been on this forum for a couple of years but good to see peeps are still as helpful as ever)

don't close it, on ome laptops that can put things in a state of idlenes... even though its set not to do anything like sleep,,,

don't close it, on ome laptops that can put things in a state of idlenes... even though its set not to do anything like sleep,,,

ok, laptop will stay open. cheers