Alternative to prison sentences

Oh I don't know Timo. I agree its good to keep them out of the way but we can't do that forever. There must be some way of rehabilitating *some* offenders.

I am not too happy for my Tax to be spent just hiding the problem. I would rather it be spent tackling the root of crime (why do people do it? I don't so what makes another man steal/kill/rape etc).

Whatever the reaon some people rape , kill,steal?. who knows.The mojority of us dont.we know its wrong and deep down inside is that little voice( called a concience & a sense of decency that stops us doing these things) , so i dont really give a s**t what the excuse is ,they all have to be evil b******s,to be able to do what they do, sleep at night and carry on with life as if theyve done nothing wrong.And the worst bit is this scum thinks we should feel sorry for them & that we owe them a decent life.

Cant sympathise, wont symathise with them, no excuses, give them what they deserve, that way there will be a bit more fresh air for the rest of us.

Tatoo - you might be right and we can not reverse the behaviour of those that have already fell into a life of crime (I don't know for sure, I'm not a criminal psychologist). But then surely it would make sense to spend some cash trying to stop people becoming crims in the first place.

In fact lets face it. We all know why most people steal - cos they don't have money to buy things society tells them they should have. I know I was caught shoplifting as a child because my parents could not afford to buy me the stuff the kids at school had. Thankfully I learnt my lesson and haven't been in bother since.

We live in a world that is constantly telling us what matearial possesions you need to have and the fact is a lot of the population can not afford it. In the worst cases this leads to crime. At best it drives people mad with stress trying to keep up. The gap between the haves and have-nots is widening and I can't see an end in sight.

Sometimes I wish a bomb could drop and even us all out again.

You are right Kilauea, in everything you said. I suppose i have let my personal experience harden me in some ways.

Thankyou for your comments.All true but not cruel or unkind.

i know someone who was put away for something he didnt do, he was advised to say he did it, cos he would only get comm service. 3 months he spent inide. and the person who did do it didnt even say "thanks for keeping ur mouth shut". i wish there was a way to check whether someone is guilty or not.

what about all those women that went down for "shakin babies" and now the evidence that sent em down is being questioned.

anyone who hurts a child or kills a child, should be hung drawn and quartered - but what if they really are innocent!! it troubles me

A lot of people go to prison for things they havnt done, simply because they are afraid of what the person who has done it will do to them if they "GRASS".

Originally posted by kirky

yes

great idea - anyone caught doing 31 in a 30mph - on the spot lethal injections; underage drinkers - death by firing squad; using your employers telephone to make a personal call - gas chamber; litter bugs - behead 'em...oh, wait a minute, there's no one left...