Burial Records for Attercliffe Cemetary c.1899-1912

thanks for the info rivelin , there seems to be an error somewhere , it seems she was buried not cremated ! , but if wisbech tip is sound , then her father wasnt buried in the same plot , or her mother betsy ? , cheers again, lee

Wrong user

Yes I saw Israel's on the disc too and I think his father, no sign of Betsy

though. Even looked under Elizabeth. Had a case recently where a person buried/ cremated in Australia was named on an English gravestone. Could it be that this happened to Mary Jane? You could either follow this up at the Local Studies Library or City Road might have the records.

I recall my grandfather telling me that a Native American named Paul Eagle who was a performer in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, died of complications following his horse falling on him during a performance in Sheffield in 1891, and was buried there. I sort of half recall him pointing the grave out, but can't be certain, I was only very young.

Any idea how to find out, what happened to the grave?

I recall my grandfather telling me that a Native American named Paul Eagle who was a performer in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, died of complications following his horse falling on him during a performance in Sheffield in 1891, and was buried there. I sort of half recall him pointing the grave out, but can't be certain, I was only very young.

Any idea how to find out, what happened to the grave?

A widely believed myth, usually associated with Wardsend Cemetery. Paul Eagle Star died in Sheffield Infirmary, but his body was taken to be buried in Brompton Cemetery, near Bill Cody's British 'Base'. In 1999 Eagle Star's remains were exumed and taken to the States where they were re-interred in the Rosebud Reservation.

There are other threads mentioning him on this forum. See also http://amertribes.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wild&action=display&thread=113

Hugh

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am trying to find my GGG Grandad and GGG Grandma's burial plot in the Sheffield Attercliffe Municipal Cemetery. His name is Elijah Garside born 1835 in Chapel en le frith and died 1904 in Rotherham. he lived most of his life in Attercliffe cum Darnall to his with Mary and their 4 children. I have his burial day as the 3rd October 1904 and Mary died 1911, her burial date was the 5th August 1911 but was wondering where their plot's are and as to whether or not they have head stone's so I can try and find them.

Any information anyone has would be very grateful

warm regards

Beki Garside

Edited by Beki Garside

From the Sheffield and District Family History Society Cemetery Burial disc

GARSIDE Elijah 3 Oct 1904 69 labourer 83 Plumpers Road Tinsley D2615c

GARSIDE Mary 5 Aug 1911 72 widow 73 Berkley St Attercliffe D2615c

The last numbers tell you which section of the cemetery they are buried.

Hiya

Thanks a million for the information, fantastic, Ill try to get down there and have a look around.

Thanks again

Beki

Hi All,

I have got the plot numbers for my relatives that are buried in Attercliffe Cemetery, but I only have a section map, I was wondering if anyone has a plot map, or if anyone knows where I can get one. I have phoned the council but they said they don't look after that cemetery. Can anyone help please????

If you try the Sheffield Indexers website they have quite a few maps of Sheffield cemeteries.

Hi All,

I have got the plot numbers for my relatives that are buried in Attercliffe Cemetery, but I only have a section map, I was wondering if anyone has a plot map, or if anyone knows where I can get one. I have phoned the council but they said they don't look after that cemetery. Can anyone help please????

I've only ever seen a section map, I think you'd have to go up and have a look if they are still standing. However if you give us the names we might be able to check the plot numbers as Sheffield and District Family History Society do a disc with Attercliffe on it that covers the period 1859-1960.