Trains cancelled- incident at Chapeltown

Any ideas what the incident at Chapeltown was that has affected Northern Rail trains today?

Just heard there's a body on the tracks at Woolley Wood bottom:sad:

Our train bound for leeds via chapeltown terminated at Meadowhall this morning - due to 'a fatality on the track'.

Edited by jenniflower

I've just got into work.

I was on the 7.28 from Kiveton Bridge (7.51 from Sheffield), should have got into Leeds @ 8.48, but got in at about 10.20.

It was our train driver who saw it first I think.

We had to stop at Chapeltown whilst they got another driver from Sheffield (company policy apparently to change drivers after seeing something like that)

Latest update is that it's buses between Meadowhall and Barnsley until further notice, with trains running between Barnsley and Leeds or Huddersfield. If you're going from Sheffield to Leeds, your best option is to go via the Dearne Valley either on the fast Cross Country Trains or the stopper via Rotherham.

Although it was our driver who raised the alarm, our train didn't hit anyone.

So it was either someone who was hit by a freight train in the night, or it was someone who died of other causes by the trackside.

Just heard there's a body on the tracks at Woolley Wood bottom:sad:

That's terrible. Hopefully nobody we know.

Several posts removed due to unfounded speculation on events. Until anything further is known please don't post what you think may have happened.

Just to let you know the line is now open for trains as normal again.

It actually reopened about 12pm but I forgot all about this THREAD.

There's also now a report from The Star about the incident.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Body-found-on-railway-tracks.4922661.jp

Edited by BasilRathbon

I was waiting for the 9.15 this morning they didn't give the announcement out till 9.30 all they said over the tannoy was the train has been cancelled due to a fatality at chapeltown

I was on the train this morning on which the driver found the body. It was the 07:51 Sheffield to Leeds train. The train stopped and we had an announcement that the driver had seen something on the edge of the track that he needed to investigate and that we couldn't continue due to safety reasons.

We sat there for about 1/2 hr before we continued to Chapletown where we had to wait for another hour for a new driver to be taxied from Sheffield to continue with the journey. The conductor was very calm and professional though, offering his mobile to those who needed to ring work etc, to say they would be late. No-one on the train as far as know saw the body or knew it was there.

I was driving along wooley wood bottom at about 11.15am & all the police cars were still there, i actually saw the body being removed from the tracks on a stretcher. I watched the news to see if there was anymore details but there was nothing reported.