Ronnie Crookes

Hello Alex3659

Remembering Ronnie Crookes and his mate Ron Ace Allcard who I am in touch with now, you mention Eric Ludlam as boxer from the 50,s as sparing partner with Randolph Turpin. Is Eric Ludlam the sparing partner who worked in the mid 70,s in the Finishing Dept at Surmanco, Sheffield ?

Gary Marshman, North Wales

i new ronnie crooks and i know his niece very well

I bumped into Steve and Paul Crookes on Woodseats this afternoon.

Hello Alex3659

Remembering Ronnie Crookes and his mate Ron Ace Allcard who I am in touch with now, you mention Eric Ludlam as boxer from the 50,s as sparing partner with Randolph Turpin. Is Eric Ludlam the sparing partner who worked in the mid 70,s in the Finishing Dept at Surmanco, Sheffield ?

Gary, I heard today that Alex does not come on the forum much these days so you may not get an answer.

Hello Grappler,

Thanks for picking up the question.

Maybe he will log on at some time Thanks

Gary Marshman North Wales

Hello Alex3659

Is that Ron allcard who used to wrestle? From Stocksbridge? If so how is he, whats he up to? New him in the 70s.

Hello Zenia,

Thats the man, Ace . He is recovering from major surgery, in London area .

Did indeed wrestle and was doorman at Penny Farthing circa 1970.

He is hoping to have his PC up and running very soon so should be able to pick up on old friends.

If ya post ya name I will mention to him on next tele call.

Gary Marshman North Wales

Iknew Ronnie,he used to work at the Penny Farthing with a pal of mine,big Roy Weaver,who now lives at Skeggy.That photo someone mentioned earlier with Ronnie & Albert Greatorex in the boxing was in the Retro last Sat.I used to work with Albert & his brother Ron,played darts with their brother Derek for the Huntsman on Barnsley Rd.There is also another brother,Peter,who not many people know about who lives in Penbroke.He was working at a pub we were lodging at.An old fella recognised our accent & figured we were from Sheffield & introduced us to Peter.What were the odds of that happenjng?Small world eh?

I remember Ronnie when he owned a greengrocers on Burgoyne road it was the time he was prize fighting at the farm grounds.The quote I remember from him was " the only injury ever sustained was to his knees from going down to make it look as if he was vulnerable.

to say all the hard men like dennis hobson,kenny roberts,keirran brown,and my uncle henry jenkinson were scared of ronnie crookes is crazy.he was not bad but not as indicted to be feared to that extent.i think he also fought at the granville road fair when if you went 3rounds you got paid.

I lived next door to rons sister jess and next yard his uncle wilf I had a staff when they were twice as big as the pop eyed midgets called staffs now a bloke in our st (hobson ave) was always in and out of nick we used to go to to granville rd fair and this bloke who was about 5ft and about 7 stone used to feight big ron and give him a tanning much to the delight of the crowd who never gest it was a fiddle happy days great bloke ron

Edited by davebrmm
spelling

On 27/01/2009 at 12:39, xenia said:

Does anyone remember him, he was the doorman at the Penny Farthing in the 60s often wondered what happenned to him

Yes he trained my father Ray Jennett heard his name all the time