Sign in to follow this  

DNA - National database...

Originally posted by DaBouncer

It will prevent them from happening... because the would be rapist will know that his details are on file, thus deterring him.

I have to disagree.

Rape and murder, unless they are heavily premeditated (in which case you are dealing with a psychopathic personality who doesn't care about the consequences even if they can see them) are often impulse crimes, often carried out when drunk and in a state of extreme excitement or arousal.

They do the deed without thought for the consequences, and then try to evade detection. And then when they are caught and their lies are exposed, they will usually admit to having sex with the victim but will try and argue it was consensual. This is pretty much standard procedure for alleged rapists.

I freely admit that in some cases the DNA database might dissuade potential rapists, but even then, it might just persuade them to wear a condom and gloves.

It won't prevent rape because DNA can only prove that intercourse took place, it cannot prove whether there was consent or not.

DNA is only circumstantial evidence and does not (on it's own) prove rape, murder or any other crime. Whilst a DNA database may help to solve some additional crimes I think that in our "no smoke without fire" culture it will also lead to more cases of innocent people being convicted.

Whilst the idea is fine and noble the reality is that holding everyone's DNA on a database is sure to lead to abuse, whether it is by governments, police, unscrupulous organisations or companies... it is simply too tempting. In my opinion it is too high a price to pay.

Originally posted by spook1210

Hmmm you often talk a lot of sense Phanerothyme but on this one I think you're wrong. You show me an example of when HOLMES has been compromised and I'll agree with you. Also do you actually know what HOLMES is used for?

OK, you caught me red handed with exagerrated hearsay!

HOLMES is a evidence databank AFAIK.

And I see it has been superceded by HOLMES2 an even better system, although there have been some critics of it's'inherent security problems' - of which I know nothing.

Can you assure me that there is no police corruption where Police databases are concerned? I suppose I am making a presumption of guilt, but I would support it with the question, have you known any large organisation to be entirely free of corruption?

My point is if you collect all the DNA data together, what you have is an incredibly valuable and powerful resource, the misuse of which could wreak seismic effects on individuals and population groups.

And no institution or organisation has the sheer ironclad trustworthiness required to hold that information safely and without prejudice, nor can one ever have IMO.

what if you were innocently walking along and you spat out some chewing gum and minutes later a murderer dragged someone along to that same place and killed them.