Sheffield's 10th Starbucks to open this year

drink it why you can over here they have just gone belly up it was lousy coffee and to darn expensive

Was it Starbucks that was described as just a version of MacDonalds but for the middle classes? :huh:

You're thinking of Pizza Express.

By the end of this year Starbucks will have got the number of their stores in Sheffield into double figures!

They are due to open a store in the train station, Im not sure what shop they will be replacing. Just what the city needs! More homogenisation.

More Supreme signature Belgian mocha choca 40 grams of fat in a cup a-chinos!

10! Jesus The "Man" is Taking Over! Everyone FLEE to Your Local Cafes/Coffee Shops before it's TOO LATE!

taste is very subjective up untill 50s plus no decent Englishman would be seen dead with a cup of that vile brew it was all tea ,coffee (Camp) was made with milk & of course it was Chicory the power of advertising changed all that, I still drink 90% tea but laugh if you like but my overall preference is MacDonalds & that is over any coffee I've yet to taste

The problem is that prime units are too expensive for small independents to take on - the set-up costs, the legal costs (normally payable for both parties by the incoming tenant) and the rent deposit (usually 3 months) are just too much.

The owners of Fusion in Butcher Works managed it, and they're doing a roaring trade!

Arundel Street, before anyone asks. All organic and FairTrade too. Very nice and a beautiful building.

Just being curious... can anyone tell me where the ten Starbucks are in the city? I know there's one on Division Street, Ecclesall Road and a few at Meadowhall...

Just being curious... can anyone tell me where the ten Starbucks are in the city? I know there's one on Division Street, Ecclesall Road and a few at Meadowhall...
There's another just up the road from the Children's Hospital.

The owners of Fusion in Butcher Works managed it, and they're doing a roaring trade!

Arundel Street, before anyone asks. All organic and FairTrade too. Very nice and a beautiful building.

Well done to them - I didn't mean to imply it was absolutely impossible, just that the barriers to entry for a new, independent business setting up in town or Meadowhall are significant, and too much for most to overcome.

Fusion is lovely. We work opposite and can frequently be found in there.

As for the Sheffield Starbuckses, how sad, but I think I can name them all....

Ecclesall Rd

Western Bank

Division St

Tudor Square

Fargate

Orchard Square

Outside M&S Meadowhall

Outside BHS Meadowhall

Outside Primark Meadowhall

I spend way too much time in MH and town...

Coffee Revolution did have 3 stores but the owner (Matt Smith) sold the church street shop to the then manager and his family and the other 2 stores were sold to Sheffield University who also bought the brand. The Church street shop went under fairly quickly and was reopened as Gusto which seems to be doing a pretty good amount of trade now. The university is trying to sell the Coffee Revolutions to other universities in the country, I remember talk not so long back of 2 other branches opening in student unions somewhere in the country.

Starbucks have just announced that all their espresso is going to be fair trade by the end of the year but it is kind of worrying that a previous poster on this thread said that FT beans cost less than the current non-FT beans they use! Is that possible?? They currently pay about a pound per kilo (or so I was told) and Im fairly sure the coffee growers arent gonna see much more than a penny or two per kilo so where does the rest go? Into Howard Schultz's pension fund thats where!

Yeah, there may be multiple Grag's and Tesco's in the city but that doesn't mean just cos they're doing it Starbucks should too. Im all for a variety of options in the marketplace but Starbucks has a policy of opening as many units as possible in an area which are then run at a loss (if needs be) for up to a year or two, in the hope that other indy coffee shops will go outr of business. Then when they have driven the competition out of business Starbucks shut down their least profitable stores. This ensures that they retain control of an area because no indy coffee shop could hope to compete with them. 10 is at least 5 too many!