Advice from Builders please - loft conversion

Hi, I need some advice off someone in the know, so to speak. Me and my OH are moving into a new build in a couple of months and we have asked the builder (Persimmon) if we can put some boards in the loft space before the roof goes on. The access to the loft is only small and because there's not a lot of storage space in the house we thought it would be a good idea to do this. However, the site manager has refused to co-operate saying by boarding out the loft, it could cause damp and reduce the insulation efficiency . Can anyone out there confirm any of this or are we having our legs lifted a tad. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Little_Alex

I doubt there would be a damp problem unless the entire floor was being boarded. Something unlikely if using roof trusses. The weight situation might be a concern though.

Best thing to do is wait until you move in and put a few boards up then.

I doubt there would be a damp problem unless the entire floor was being boarded. Something unlikely if using roof trusses. The weight situation might be a concern though.

Best thing to do is wait until you move in and put a few boards up then.

That's what I thought and said Vidster. the door is only about 500mm square and would be a nightmare to feed thin strips through. I agree with the weight issue though but I only intend to do about 8'sq

the loft access should be wide enough to get the loft boards through cheap enough from wickes if you get stuck and wat someone to do it for you give me a ing on 07838180080 thanks

the site agent doesnt seem to be very well versed on roof space ventillation requirements, All new build has to have continuous ventillation down two opposite sides either through the soffit boards or over the top of the facia board it then has to be channelled via plastic loft trays over the top of the insulation so boarding part or all the loft would cause no dampness whatsoever.. Reckon he just doesnt want to put his name to anything that deviates from the original spec... Think they call them "Jobsworths" or Little hitlers ;):thumbsup:

the site agent doesnt seem to be very well versed on roof space ventillation requirements, All new build has to have continuous ventillation down two opposite sides either through the soffit boards or over the top of the facia board it then has to be channelled via plastic loft trays over the top of the insulation so boarding part or all the loft would cause no dampness whatsoever.. Reckon he just doesnt want to put his name to anything that deviates from the original spec... Think they call them "Jobsworths" or Little hitlers ;):thumbsup:

Thanks for that Antichrist. Apart from the requirements what you've mentioned (I hadn't a clue) I had a feeling that he was waffling and as you say, he doesn't want to put his name to it.

Thanks again