Water in my car drivers footwell, where's it from?

my car drivers footwell has been getting saturated with water recently.

i noticed it about a week a go, i cleared it out and had hoped it was just a build up from off my shoes, but no, after last nights rain it was drenched again.

i cant feel any soggyness around the perimeter of the floor, it really is just sitting in the base of the footwell, and is really saturated. im guessing my car has sprung a leak from somewhere. does anybody have any idea where this might be? and how much it may be to fix?

i will be taking it to a garage asap, but cant get off work, and i am sick of mopping puddles of water out everytime it rains!!

passenger footwell is dry as a bone....

any info appreciated, i am worried about ma little car!

Edited by watchcoll

There are a number of places that water could be getting in.

Does your car have a sunroof? There are drainage channels from the edges of the sunroof which can dump water into your car if they're blocked. I'm sure that your mechanic would blow them through with an airline to make sure that they're clear.

The last time I had this happen we never worked out where the water was coming in. That was in the passenger footwell only and we blew through all of the drainage pipes , checked seals in as many places as we could find and still never sorted it out. There was never a drip, only a soggy carpet.

Good luck.

well, i have done a bit of googling, and that has only made me more worried!

sounds like it could be anything really tricky or expensive, down to blocked drainage from the windscreen. its a 04 reg, so i still think its fairly new?

apparently it is not an easy problem to diagnose, especially as i dont even know where its coming in from and i know nothing about cars....

mines the same as yours was. no sign of drips, just a puddle in the drivers footwell, im hoping its just a blocked drain or summat simple, it wasnt leaking when i bought it, but i did notice a slight musty smell about 6-8 weeks ago, so it must have been happening since then.

oh, god i bet i will have to replace the carpets as well, might be cheaper just to get a new car....

Edited by watchcoll

I would say the door seal is leaking. Check for any damage.

Also check the gap around the door. Make sure no chav's have had a go at breaking in by levering the top of the door open.

i once had a Vectra with a sunroof and it caused the passenger side footwell to flood -nightmare

I was lucky when it happened to me- it was a 15 year old car worth about 50p, so I could afford to let the water sit there and make the carpets a bit smelly!

My lateral thinking solution included drilling a small hole for letting the water back out again ;)

Probably the door seals, relatively cheap and quick fix.

> deleted by user <

Edited by BoyEngland

My lateral thinking solution included drilling a small hole for letting the water back out again ;)

Exactly what i did with my mini. I just slapped some clear silicone around it once i had replaced the door seal.

Exactly what i did with my mini. I just slapped some clear silicone around it once i had replaced the door seal.

Unfortunately with a new(ish) car you're likely to invalidate the corrosion warranty by drilling a hole in the car's body shell, so this is not something that I'd advocate to the OP unless s/he's prepared for that.

Don't wish to put the frighteners on...but I'd check if the car has been in an accident prior to you purchasing. If it has, body seams could have become stressed and opened slightly allowing ingress.

https://www.mycarcheck.com/

I get this with mine. Mine is because I get leaves/seeds stuck in the gap between the bonnet and the windscreen. They block two holes that have a flap on them and are about a inch wide they normally allow water to drain through to the floor. I just have to check that they are open and not blocked every now and again, it takes some fiddling as you can't see anything just feel whats there.

Hope you find it, my mates sold hers (with the problem shown) after giving up trying to find the cause, it was a VW only a couple of years old.