Music Thread (with videos)

10 hours ago, janie48 said:

Ennio Morricone  RIP. 

Seconded.

How good are these tunes

I do enjoy doo-wop. It tends to be joyous. We need joyous at the moment.

Let’s talk about Darts/Showaddywaddy/Sha Na Na. All stand-out successful doo-wop revival acts. I own lots of material by them all. Very hard to pick a favourite………. but let’s talk about the pros and occasional cons of all three.

Consider:

2 have a focal yob/comedy-relief character: Darts had Den Hegarty, The Na's had Bowser. Showaddywaddy did not have this component. One mark off for them.

Darts had the added cannon-power of female vocals for diversity; the lovely Rita Ray. Deffo a point in Darts' favour.

However... the Na's were genuine. Authentic. Doo-wop came from their part of the world. They were, for all intents and purposes, promoting their 'ethnic' culture. Point for them, nowt for the others.

2 had major hits here, but then the Na's probably had hits in their own country (discuss).

Showaddywaddy overcame two major obstacles; coming from Leicester and appearing on New Faces. The other two didn't have those particular hardships :). Two bonus points there.

Darts and Sha Na Na never strayed from the template. Stayed true to their genre. Showaddywaddy tried a concept album. A point deducted for hubris.

A member of 'waddy had a son who went on to play for Sheffield Wednesday. All points deducted.

Darts had material produced by the magnificent Roy Wood. That's enough to win it, but.....

Den Hagerty went on to be in TISWAS. The winning point!

Darts fer me then.

Thoughts/views/anecdotes welcomed.

Some of the best tunes and lyrics ever written.

From Monsters - The Midnight's latest album (which I received on Friday!)

Edited by swarfendor437

On 12/07/2020 at 21:26, petemcewan said:

On a day like today this makes my blood run young again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEHBTjIYejE

I watched a programme about Ella Fitzgerald on BBC Iplayer recently. She endured a lot of sadness in her early life. 

Two great legends singing a duet together. 

Sorry meant this reply to quote your Ella Fitzgerald previous post. 

Edited by janie48

Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen. 

Over to an Egyptian collection (well R.I.P Dave Greenfield, keyboardist of the Stranglers who died from Covid-19 in May, sad news I missed).

Now for the real thing: