Sign in to follow this  

Q about chat forums

question: (not about this forum by the way)

if you go on a chat forum that is supposed to be moderated and is run by a commercial enterprise and you find it offensive, what can you do?

How d'ya contact the forum police?! Are there any laws on this kinda thing? and don't give me any of that 'well don't go on that site anymore' kak because doesn't solve the issue!

In order to help you're probably going to have to tell us which forum you're talking about. If they are small like SheffieldForum then you can contact the site admin or a moderator. If it's a large site then they tend to have customer/PR managers. Like I said, it's going to be easier if you name the board. Another thought - you could always complain to their service provider, but if it's a big enterprise then they will be their own provider.

PS. Congrats on your 100th post 8)

i don't want to name and shame the site because on the whole its fun and informative.

there are 13,000 users on it so i guess its big but they don't have loads of staff. i've pm'd a mod who has yet to reply - but they managed to take my threads off asap when i brought up this subject!

they have fairly laid back rules - you can swear all you want for instance. they do have some forum rules, i guess i'll have to get them from their archives before i do anything else.

i know who their service provider is but i haven't got that much spare time to be mary whitehouse incarnate!

best bet would be to ignore it unless its directed at you, if it is then id suggest contacting higher up than a moderator

nah its nothing personal, just misogynistic threads and posts. its a male dominated site and you can tell that alot of the females on there are young and they just take it.

its probably hard to prove to be offensive as its just a reflection of society - but i won't go into that one!

If it was me i wouldnt bow down to it, cos you'll only make yourself look bad in their eyes.

It happened on another forum i goto and they all call the person in question "mod of pies" behind their back, although thats slightly different because the person in question pads the site out muchly with utter crap :lol: