Sign in to follow this  

Cat Abandonment - What can the RSPCA do?

For about a year (or maybe longer) there has been a cat coming to my mum's house and eating our cats food, or just sitting on the garden or in the conservatory. Our cats don't seem to mind him too much but they act quite perturbed when he's around. Every time we get close he runs off but I once got the number from his collar and found out that he lived at a pub around the corner. We called and they came to collect him but he still came round all the time and he looked very thin. We once went on holiday and came home and heard lots of banging and the cat had managed to get through the locked catflap into the conservatory and had got locked in. We were so worried as he was going really wild and had weed everywhere and was desperatly scrambling at the cat flat, I opened the cat flap and he ran out. We called the pub straight away and they said that he'd been with them that day but from the state of the cat I am sure he'd been locked in for longer than a day, poor little thing.

This morning, my mum went downstairs and there was blood and fur and mud all over the floor and the little cat was sat on one of the chairs but ran off before she could help him. She called the pub and somebody answered and said they are taking over the pub as the previous landlord (the cat's owner) had been sent to prison and his partner had ran off and left the cat which goes to my mums, and also another cat.

My mum rang the RSPCA and they reported it as abandonment but said there was nothing much they can do as the owner is in prison. They said if he came back, my mum could take him up to the vets and RSPCA would foot the bill, or she could take him straight to the RSPCA.

What can we do? I really hope he will come back to my mum's house so we can take him to the RSPCA/vets. If we did take him to the RSPCA, would they be able to rehome him, even though his owner is in prison?

I'm really worried that he's injured and walking the streets.

Personally I'd set the catflap to 'in only' and leave out some really lovely tempting food for him, then retire to a safe distance and cross your fingers.

The RSPCA can take him in, sort out his injuries and weight loss and rehome him, but there's little point in trying to take action against someone already in prison (and also, people aren't really responsible for when they are arrested so may not have the notice to get care for their animals when they are arrested so aren't willfully abandoning them- if you see what I mean).

If we're thinking about the cat's needs then he needs a vet, some decent food and a loving home- spend your energy on that and everything else will sort itself (I've never seen anyone come back for their animal in such circumstances when they're likely to face a huge bill for all of the veterinary care).

Good idea, my mum has left work early to go and see if she can find him and take him to the vets.

Even when the owners were around, he was very thin and didn't look properly looked after so I think prison in the best place for him!

I've got a feeling my mum will want to keep him but I don't think our cats would like it!

Thanks Medusa, I'll let you know what happens x