Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers!

not sure if our family is jinxed but specsavers at hillsbro have messed up every pair of specs my family have ordered, my OH got his and couldnt see a thing out of them, he was told he needed to 'adjust' to them, he did take them back as he really couldn't see through them and the prescribed lenses were the wrong way round - left eye lense fitted onto right side of glasses. they did the same with his nannan and grandads specs and they put a big scratch on my sisters lens only a few days ago.

The last time I used D & A I went to collect my glasses and they sat me down and said look in the mirror in front of you and you will be able to see the letters on the exit sign behind you clearly. Unfortunately they were just blurred and no way could I see them clearly so they retested my eyes and wrote a new prescription for the previously chosen frames. As for specsavers doing any small repairs free so do D & A last time I used them.

I went to specsavers because where I work has a deal with them and gave me a voucher after I said I needed glasses for computer work (I already had short-sighted glasses for driving, cinema etc). It was like a conveyor belt, and I wouldn't have minded that too much except the cost of my glasses (buy one get one free - over a certain price) meant I came out with two pairs of glasses which, it turns out - were not at all suitable. They told me to try them for a while, but when I used them I felt dizzy like I'd just got off a fairground ride. So in the end I jumped ship and went to Daybell and Choo who were great and tested my eyes for the same thing and said my Specsavers prescription was a joke, that they'd never prescribe a varifocal lens like that ever... D&C can be a bit expensive as they have a lot of designer frames but they have cheaper ones too. And they're great with kids - my 10 year old started wearing glasses this year so I took her there and they've done a really good job.

Joan - does that mean you have a spare pair of frames that need a good home to go to?

ps - Roro and I go to D&C too for our check ups too and really like them

Alas, Pritt Stick, the ones you are after are in the Crawford museum in case I ever need a spare pare. by the way, 1.20 pm today on Channel 4, fab film :)

You don't have to have your eyes tested @ specsavers to get your glasses from them.

Get a thorough test elsewhere & then take the prescription to specsavers for the 2-4-1 offer.

I've always done this & never had any problems with the glasses Ive had from them.

If it has Celia Imrie or Trevor Howard in it I'm not interested - but ta for the heads up. xx

You don't have to have your eyes tested @ specsavers to get your glasses from them.

Get a thorough test elsewhere & then take the prescription to specsavers for the 2-4-1 offer.

I've always done this & never had any problems with the glasses Ive had from them.

They've never let me do that! Always said that I need the test doing there too..

I'll prob be trying specsavers out just due to lazyness...used to goto D&A on queens road but as I don't work around there anymore it just makes sense to go down the road....plus I need a 2 for 1 deal to get some sunglasses.

Went to David Inman for years, my parents still go there (think it's like 20years of going) so he must be doing something right as my dad has bad eyes and can be a right victor meldrew if he gets bad service.

My experience of Specsavers (Pinstone St) is much the same as that of the OP. I was rushed through on the "conveyabelt". I had a very impatient man doing the test - who at lightening speed said "is this better or that better?". The problem was he was going that fast, swapping the lenses, neither one of us knew what we were saying was better:loopy: He was rude. I kept asking him to slow down, he just continued at high speed, lost his temper to boot and talked to me as if I was some sort of idiot. Needless to say, the prescription and lenses were a complete disaster. I complained to the manager and had a repeat eyetest - with the same bloke! - who was exactly the same again! I complained again and got to see a much more patient lady eventually but I still was very unimpressed to be honest and ended up with something that wasn't suitable and I wasn't happy with. Since then I have been to Vision Express and Boots and their services are a world apart. I was particularly impressed with the eye test at Boots and the level of care and I would recommend them to anyone, although I do think Vision Express had a better choice of glasses for me. However, I would always recommend having your eyes tested at the same place where you are going to purchase your lenses, then, if you're not happy with your lenses, they can't pass the buck!

Don't forget that Specsavers is a franchise and not a wholly owned company.

It doesn't discount the poor service but if a private optician behaved this way he'd be out of business, being a high volume franchise the lack of service could be down to poor practitioners and not Specsavers per se.

I always have my eyes tested at Boots and I am really pleased with the care they take. They spot anything wrong and refer quickly to the hospital. They also don't pressurise you to buy from them, simply hand over the prescription and relevant vouchers.

Unfortunately, for the last two years, I have not been able to afford glasses from them, so I have been to Specsavers. I am very satisfied with both the price, the good range of frames and the service from them, plus my optician at Boots is satisfied that the lenses I have are correct.